Author Topic: Very short audio dropout  (Read 4230 times)

n2teb

• View Profile
    • Email
Very short audio dropout
« on: 2011-10-20, 04:10:23 »
Hi all - when I'm running my Icom 706mkiig remoterig setup, I get very short audio dropouts (less than 1 sec) randomly, no more than once every 30 seconds.  I've tried to bump up the jitter delay/buffer on both sides to 10/8 but I still hear it.  Should I continue increasing this number or is there something else I may be missing?  I see no light change on the remoterig box when the audio dropout happens.

Any help would be appreciated!

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
Re: Very short audio dropout
« Reply #1 on: 2011-10-20, 08:47:12 »
Hi
Increasing the buffers will only help to cover short dropouts, if they are longer you must find the reason for it. It can be because of unstable internet connections, problem with a router or just limited bandwidth. For example if somebody else in the house browse a heavy webpage, that session may take all available bandwitdth, causing a drop in the audio. You can also try to connect from a different location to determine in which end you have the problem.

73 de mike

n2teb

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2011-10-20, 23:29:18 »
Hi Mike, the dropouts are very short, well under 1 second.  They happen approx every 30 seconds or so.  The dropout time is the same everytime it happens.  Any ideas?

I4GAD Enrico

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2011-10-21, 08:08:12 »
I've experinced similar problems on my remote activity. I discovered it was due to my external monitoring webcam that took the whole upload band of my home lan every minute during the image uploading to the remote FTP Server.
Just changed the interval to 15 minutes and now the audio dropout frequence can be acceptable.
I suggest to check the bandwith of your ADSL connection on both side and see if you have some program/device who saturate periodically the lan.
73...Enrico I4GAD