Author Topic: Will Heathkit electronic keyer work with remoterig and 706?  (Read 4241 times)

n2teb

• View Profile
    • Email
Hi all - Considering trying CW with my remoterig setup (706 mkiig).  I have an old Heathkit HD-1410 electronic keyer (http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/808).  Will an electronic keyer work with the remoterig, which also acts as an electronic keyer?  Any help/settings would be appreciated if it's possible for it to work.

Thanks!
- Dave

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
Re: Will Heathkit electronic keyer work with remoterig and 706?
« Reply #1 on: 2011-11-20, 20:15:05 »
Yes you can use an external keyer if you connect it as a straight key, The keyer should be activated anyway

73  de mike

n2teb

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Will Heathkit electronic keyer work with remoterig and 706?
« Reply #2 on: 2011-11-22, 04:30:47 »
Can you elaborate a little more?

On the Icom 706 there is a keyer setting and if you set it to OFF, it's for a straight key.  That should be easy to change.  In the Icom manual it shows two different wiring configurations for wiring the keyer plug, one for paddle and one for straight key.  On the radio remoterig, I have a 3.5mm stereo plug going into the PAD plug and then the 1/4" stereo plug going into the Icom keyer plug.  So when wiring for the straight key, do I need to wire it for a straight key coming from the keyer at the control side into the PAD connection on the control remoterig?  Or do I need to actually modify the wire at the radio end from the remoterig PAD jack to the keyer jack?

I assume follow all the other steps on the remoterig, like enabling the keyer on the control side and setting the OUT1 and OUT2 to keyer on the radio side.

Thanks for the help so far - any more information to help would be great!

73, Dave N2TEB