Author Topic: RRC1258 Fails to boot  (Read 4114 times)

g4swx

• View Profile
    • Email
RRC1258 Fails to boot
« on: 2011-12-02, 10:04:12 »
Hi,

After nearly one year of flawless operation I have started to have problems with my control RRC.
For the last day or so it has failed to boot up first time on application of power. The red and yellow LEDs above the aux/mic socket illuminate immediately when power is applied and then stay illuminated. The power LED fails to illuminate.
I have changed the 12V PSU and the same happens.
The control RRC web interface is not available neither will the device respond to ping.
However, removing and applying power many times will sometimes result in it booting correctly.

The only think that I can think might be different is that the temperature dropped last night to 0 degrees C but that is hardly a drastic environmental change.

Has anybody else suffered similar problems or has any idea what might be failing?

John G4SWX

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
Re: RRC1258 Fails to boot
« Reply #1 on: 2011-12-02, 12:30:08 »
IF the red and yellow stays on the processor never start the main program. Reset the box to Factory default by pressing the Reset button for 30 sec. Connect a serial cable to COM1. Start a terminal program in the PC set to 38400 baud, 8 bit, 1 stopbit, no parity, no handshake. If the bootloader in the box sends some text to the terminal it's possible to upload a new firmware via X-modem. If no text shows you better send the PCB to us.

73 de mike

g4swx

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: RRC1258 Fails to boot
« Reply #2 on: 2011-12-02, 13:06:33 »
Mike,

Thanks for the prompt reply:
as I commented:
> However, removing and applying power many times will sometimes result in it booting correctly.

So I now have it running again so it is unlikely to be a firmware/bootloader issue, it sounds to me more like a hardware issue. Hence first thing was to change PSUs. Pressing reset for a soft reset does not resolve the problem and instigate boot-up. If it continues I will do as you recommend and send it back to you although I am now tempted to leave it on rather than powering down every time I am not using the radio.

Regards
John