Author Topic: RX Audio dropout depending on Sip contact setting  (Read 3986 times)

wa8bxn

• View Profile
    • Email
RX Audio dropout depending on Sip contact setting
« on: 2011-11-29, 03:45:32 »
I have a TS-480 and bought a pair of the RRC-1258 Mk II boxes. I updated their software and have them connected via a netgear WN2000RPT and netgear WNCE3001 to the same wireless router supplied with verizon FIOS (more or less a cable modem for their fiber network). If I put the local IP address in the Control unit SIP contact field that is used by the Radio unit, all works fine. If in the SIP contact field on the control unit I put the symbolic address of the FIOS router (its like a DynDNS name but by another provider, updated by other devices in the local network) I get audio dropouts on receive fairly frequently. I have changed various port numbers to avoid conflicts and have the wireless router set up to forward the ports ok.

The audio dropouts are random in spacing and on the order of a second or so in duration. The only change between no dropouts and getting them is what I put in the SIP contact field. Either way I don't think data should be leaving the local network. Any ideas? Thanks for the help!

73 - Mike WA8BXN

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
Re: RX Audio dropout depending on Sip contact setting
« Reply #1 on: 2011-11-29, 11:35:25 »
DynDns names mostly does not work at all inside a LAN, and if it works it's difficult to determine how the routing is done in your router. Use IP addressing inside the LAN to be sure.

When using WLAN for VoIP switch of the automatic switching between 802.11 a/b/g etc some access points and routers periodically test the different modes and it will result in a audio dropout during the test.

73 de mike

wa8bxn

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: RX Audio dropout depending on Sip contact setting
« Reply #2 on: 2011-12-04, 15:34:50 »
Here is an update --- connecting the radio RRC to the router via wire fixed the problem. Using a dyndns like symbolic name works fine within the local network. I suspect there were too many wifi collisions causing the problem. I now have the control RRC here in Ohio (radio is in Delaware). Everything is working very well. Its a great product!

73 - Mike WA8BXN