Author Topic: iphone4 and wnce2001  (Read 8372 times)

k9uk

• View Profile
iphone4 and wnce2001
« on: 2011-12-10, 22:41:10 »
I have acquired a wnce 2001 and I am attempting to use it in conjunction with the hotspot feature on the iphone 4(attempting is the operative word).  At this time the 2001 will recognize the iphone and when a laptop without wifi is used in conjunction with the iphone/2001 combo all is good.  However, when the same combo is used with the RRC no connection seems to take place.  Wonder if there is a setting etc that I am missing???  Any suggestions would be appreciated --
Dave

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Re: iphone4 and wnce2001
« Reply #1 on: 2011-12-10, 23:08:00 »
Dave,

Do you have the RRC set to DHCP? It would need to pull an IP number off of the iPhone's DHCP server.
I have never used this feature on an iPhone, but this should be the way it works.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

k9uk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2011-12-11, 00:24:01 »
Thanks for the reply -- Yes I did set the RRC to DHCP.  Also, I have used the iphone/2001 combo with my unprotected wifi network at my house and it works fine -- I do set the password for the iphone's hotspot and the iphone/2001 combo does work with a nonwifi enabled laptop just not with the iphone as the wireless router(hotspot). 

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2011-12-11, 07:45:04 »
Strange....if the WNCE2001 works with a PC over the iPhone, just plugging it into the RRC
should allow it to work as well.

Did you check the status to see if it received an IP number ok? I would double check to
make sure that it is indeed connected to the network.

I also assume that the RRC works fine when connected to a "normal" wired or wireless network.
I was assuming that you already have it working and tested. If so, then maybe someone with
more experience with the iPhone has an idea.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

k9uk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2011-12-12, 04:19:09 »
Yes the RRC works fine connected to a wired or wireless network - - I do not know what the difference between connection to a PC and to the RRC --  Thanks for your help --

Maybe someone who is familiar with the iphone 4 will have some insight --

Dave

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2011-12-13, 06:38:44 »
Hi Dave,

I see that no one else has answered so far. I flew to HS for some vacation through the end
of the year, but am checking mail on occasion.

Judging by your problem, it looks more like a problem with your 3G network, and not with
RemoteRig. I suggest you find someone with a "normal" 3G router and try it out, maybe
with the same or a different network provider. In Germany, they rarely work with RemoteRig,
since they try to block the VoIP ports. For sure, never not use port 5060 for SIP, since this may
an issue.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

k9uk

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2011-12-14, 00:24:50 »
Mitch,

Well I would believe it is the iphone and not the RRC -- I have tried several settings and I am pretty sure the RRC is gettng an IP address -- At least that is what seems to be indicated by the Net Setting information -- I have used this IP in a static mode and I have set the RRC to DHCP all without successs -- I will see if someone has a different device to use as a mobile hotspot and see if that makes a difference --

Thanks for keeping the discussion going -- Maybe someone else will have some insight -- The RRC works very well in all other circumstances.

Dave

k9uk

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2011-12-24, 01:02:53 »
Mitch and All,
Just a little more information --- I have configured the wnce2001, iphone 4, and PC.

iphone hotspot -->WNCE2001 --> PC and I am able to go to my radio RRC and look or change its settings. 

Same configuration
iphone hotspot --> WNCE2001 -->Control RRC and I get the siren warning(whatever that means?) and no connection.

Also, I have tested the unit using this configuration
secure router -->WNCE2001 --> Control RRC and all works well

Looking for some insight into settings etc that I may have missed that may help getting the system to work with a Verizon iphone 4 -

Thanks in advance for your suggestions - 73
Dave

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: 2011-12-24, 06:07:57 »
Hi Dave,

I am not sure what you mean by "secure router". I assume this means that you have been able to use
the RRC with the WNCE2001 from another router that is NOT in the same network with your radio RRC?

Assuming this is the case (i.e. you tested it away from home and it works), then the problem is with the 3G
network or phone blocking the ports. If you still have the SIP port as 5060, I highly suggest that you change it
to something else and try again. Otherwise, let us know which cell network you are using (AT&T?), so that
someone with more experience with that network can offer advice.

If you have NOT tested it outside of your radio's network, then it can be one of several things. Before I
provide details, I will wait for your response on the above.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

k9uk

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2012-01-03, 00:56:17 »
The ongoing Saga of the iphone 4 and RRC --  Mitch, I did change the SIP port to something other than 5060 and interestingly enough the system started to work --

This lasted for about 10 seconds and then the phone resets itself -- I have contacted both Verizon(they don't seem to know) and Apple (they are working on the problem) so we will see --  I am getting an error in the Diagnostic & Usage that is a date, number and panic.plist when the phone resets --

It is the fun of making it work that motivates -
Dave

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: 2012-01-03, 08:17:58 »
Thanks for the update, Dave.

You certainly are a masochist, I hope you get it working!  ;)

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX