Author Topic: Kenwood TM-D710E front panel problems  (Read 10745 times)

OH6KNW

• View Profile
Kenwood TM-D710E front panel problems
« on: 2011-12-25, 15:13:33 »
Hi there! I am new user for remoterig stuff and just try configure my first setup. At the moment process is to check radio function in my home network first.
 I make my firs QSO:s already and very first everything look's good but after some while, my front panel lose power, radio was still ON an I was able to continue my QSO (without panel), I got audio for speaker, PTT working well and so on, panel stayed OFF and after some minutes also radio turn off..
 I have orginal power supply for remoterig so I hope that problem is not too less power. Interconnection cables between control-RRC > panel and radio RRC > Radio should be ok.
 So my question is, what can explain that I am able to start my remote station with Panel ON and after some time it dropp OFF? If panel drop off and I switch radio power off forced by manual, I can start my redio / power ON again (from panel button) but panel lights not come up... Help me..

73'de
OH6KNW

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Re: Kenwood TM-D710E front panel problems
« Reply #1 on: 2011-12-25, 16:33:01 »
Welcome to the club!

I have a hunch.....did you remember to remove JMP2 per the manual (page 154)?. If not, then
the panel is not receiving enough voltage.

If this is configured correctly, then I don't have a clue ;-)

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

OH6KNW

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2011-12-25, 16:55:41 »
Hi Mitch!

Thank you for your rapid response! Now radio running well at the moment, already one hour.. What I did, I replace power supplies between Radio RRC and Control RRC (both of power supplies are "Power Supply for RRC. CE, 100-240V ->12V/1.0A." type) at the moment my best quess is that power consumption for panel and external speaker are too much for second power supply unit, of course I assume that they should be similar between each other..? I suppose that power consumption is smaller for radio RRC so I'll locate that "faulty" power supply to there.
 So, from my point of view, my internal remoterig setup is now ready and works succesfully but now I have 5 days time to move it work via internet (dns /remoterig) before I travel to HI8 country..

thank's

teemu OH6KNW

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2011-12-25, 17:05:01 »
Hi Teemu,

Glad to hear that it works now. Not sure why the power supplies were not working. Are you sure that
you have JMP2 set correctly (no longer jumpered)?

RemoteRig is a lot of fun, you will enjoy it. I am presently in HS on vacation, but am using the PC Client here.
Enjoy HI8!

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

OH6KNW

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2011-12-25, 17:31:14 »
Seem's that I was satisfied too early, now the same problem. Yes, I'm sure that jumper position for JMP2 is not connected = OPEN, also all other jumpers are disconnected regarding the instructions for KenwoodTM-D710.. Any other good tips`?

teemu

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2011-12-25, 19:23:49 »
The only thing which can be wrong is the cables to the front panel. Nothing else is involved. You can reduce the backlighter to reduce power consumption. Im not sure how much power the panel needs. I use the TM-D710 my self and it works perfect, it's up for months. I never switch it off I have the Control RRC connected to 20A PS together with other things so I have never reflected over the power consumption. But I have never heard anyone else having problem with the TM-D710.

I hope you solve it

73 de mike

OH6KNW

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2011-12-25, 19:29:29 »
Hi!
 Thank you for your response, yes that's what I also afraid to that interface cables from Radio to RRC or from Control RRC to panel or both are not good enough. Actually I've got these cables from remoterig company, they made it for me  ;)... unfortunately it seems that I had to start build up my own made cables and test it again, not good because time is quite limited. I also tried already feed voltage from my radio power supply 25A and it was same situation, so I don't assume anymore that problem is power supply. Also I take brightness of display down, no effect for this matter.

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: 2011-12-25, 19:35:37 »
Hi

Now I remember I sent you my cables that I have used for years. And made new ones for my self so you can be sure they works. Are you sure you have set the red jumpers correct. The serial connection  from the TTL connector is also connected to the jumper socket so if a jumper is miss placed it can disturb the communication.

73 de mike

OH6KNW

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2011-12-25, 19:43:57 »
ok, good to know that cables are work in your use. I checked my red-jumper installations today once and for me it's look that they are still on place, in fact my soldering gun was not very good but should be ok. Is there some reason for lan- adapter/socket what was included for delivery? It is not in use at the moment, only when I tested to connect both interface cables together and check that panel work's directly with the radio, it works.. I think I have anyway huge challenge with network settings so I hope that I can deside this matter soon...

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: 2011-12-25, 20:06:04 »
Now you really scares me talking about solder iron, What ever you do do not solder inside the boxes.
The 2x RJ45 extender is just for testing purposes. What happens when you get in trouble. Is the connection going down or is it just the display which stops showing anything ? What are the red and yellow LEDS showing ? is there any error indications on the status pages ?

/mike

OH6KNW

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2011-12-25, 20:12:14 »
?? What is the correct way to fix the jumpers? What I understand was that they should be tin to IC-slot?? However, that's how they are now installed.
 So, what has happend is that I can start the radio, I kept some QSO's through local network and then display just turned off, radio was still ON and I was able to use microphone as well, after some minutes also radio turned off, sometimes it reboot radio by himself and also panel come on again. Status indicate (control RRC) that radio is OFF and in Radio RRC that radio is still ON..

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: 2011-12-25, 20:17:48 »
Is the manual so bad ? I have never heard anybody soldering the straps before, they should just be put into the sockets without doing anything else. The socket do not survive soldering, so that can be the problem. Im afraid I cant help any more if that's the case. The sockets has to be replaced.

/mike

OH6KNW

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2011-12-25, 20:25:49 »
wow, so seems that it have been my fatal error  ::), then I see that after this my mistake I had to try once solder this straps better and if not success then maybe order new units, actually I still not understand, how this jumpers can stay on place without soldering??? And where I can find it from manual?

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: 2011-12-25, 20:59:05 »
Ok. There is a high risk that the plastic between the pins are melted so there will be a shortcut between the pins, Of course the units are not permanently damaged, it's possible to replace the sockets. But as you have a tight schedule you need to find out if there is a problem and if you can solve it some way. With good light and an magnifier you may be able to check if there is a problem. The sockets have a mechanical solution to connect to the wire or or a IC- pin as they are normally used for.  I can not see any other reason for your problem, there is no way the settings could be set in a way that the connection will end after a while.

73 de mike

OH6KNW

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2011-12-25, 21:24:10 »
Thank's Mike for your support, especially at Christmas day. I check already the ic-base connections and had to say that now it is easier to recognize what you mean. I found something, two "jumper" wires was melted to touching each other, not only cover of wire, I think that also conductors touching each other and that can explain this matter. However, I repair that connections and radio turned on well, now it is under test during night and hopefully still 'scan' at the morning.
 About the IC-slot, I got your point but I assume that I was sensitive enough when I using soldering gun so I hope that the pins are still in shape and not thouch each other.

let's hope best... thank's