Author Topic: PC can connect to MKII "Control" unit only after I cycle power. Why?  (Read 7056 times)

W7KWS

• View Profile
I have two RemoteRig Twin sets that I use to separate two TS-480SAT rigs via the Internet between two locations or locally via my LANs.  In all cases each of the four units are running 2.46 Firmware.  The routers they are connected to assign a different reserved IP address to each unit based on the unit's MAC address so that the IP is always the same for each unit.  I use separate SIP ports for each pair to keep the audio separated and I've assigned port 8000 for the WEB server ports so that there is no conflict with other WEB servers on the LAN.  Everything has worked very well for several months except for this one difficulty;  the "Control" MKII units can only be accessed from the local PCs browser following a power off/on cycle to the MKII.  If I wait for an hour or two following the power cycle, the PC will not connect until I cycle the power again.

The "Radio" MKII units do not seem to have this difficulty and connect reliably everytime.  I have the same difficulty from two different PCs.  Each of them is running Windows 7 x64 and IE9.

Please let me know if I can adjust the MKII settings to resolve this or if it is the result of a firmware issue that could be addressed in a future release.

Thank you,

Bob
« Last Edit: 2012-01-05, 20:26:31 by W7KWS »

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Hi Bob,

I don't think this problem is related to RemoteRig, but is a network issue.

I suggest that you change the RRC's web ports from 8000 to something
different and don't use the same one for every one.  If you are accessing
from outside of your LAN, you will need to forward these ports, but you seem
to know that already.

See first if that works. If it does, we know it's a network problem.

Otherwise, it sounds like you did everything right.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

P.S.: You posted this in the wrong section, this is for PC Client, not RRC

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
I agree with Mitch. It must be a network problem. There are no other reports like yours. I have 4 Control-RRCs on my desktop here connected to a 8 port Netgear switch and a Netgear WNR3500 router and I have never had any problem to connect to them. Im not a member of the Microsoft fanclub so I never use IE but I tested now with IE and it's no problem with IE either. Try to change switch or router if Mitch suggestions do not give result.

73 de mike

W7KWS

• View Profile
Mitch & Mike,

Thank you for responding in such a timely way.

I've tried your suggestion and changed the RRC to WEB port 8010 and changed the corresponding port number in the bookmarks on both computers.  Everything worked very well for about an hour.  After that time this computer,  the one that I'm typing on, could no longer access the RRC.  Interestingly, access from my other machine had not timed out yet and it had access so I copied the bookmark from that machine to this one but that didn't help.

I can't argue with you that this is likely a network issue but I didn't change anything to the network or to the RRC within that hour.  This is just a small LAN in my home.  I don't believe that this is a router or NAT issue as I only access the RRC from within the LAN since it is always local to me. 

This is not keeping me from enjoying the RemoteRigs tremendously but it is frustrating that I can't figure this out.

If either of you come up with any ideas in your dreams, please let me know.

I'm going to do one last thing before I post this.  I'm going to pull the 12V power from the back of the RRC and plug it back in to see what happens.  Standby!

Well, there you go,immediate access after a few seconds of boot time.  Boy, I'm stumped.

Best regards,

Bob

LB9GE

• View Profile
I've experienced similar things with IE9. Often it helps to clear the IE cache("Safety, delete browser history - All").
But since i am a fan of the Opera browser, i use the opera browser instead, and have never experienced this problem with Opera.

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Hi Bob,

I am 100% sure that it is a network problem, the reason is why I asked you to first try
different ports to make sure that it wasn't a port conflict problem. Your description matched
pretty much a port conflict problem.

I am trying to come-up with other ideas, but right now can't think of any that would solve
the problem with your router. Maybe a couple quick ideas, just to see if this works:

- Try using a different browser
- Try connecting a USB cable to the RRC's, then use the Microbit Setup to browse the RRC
- Since you bound the IP address to the MAC address in the router, make sure the RRC's are set to DHCP

Maybe this can help provide clues.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

W7KWS

• View Profile
Well, upon further troubleshooting, it appears that this difficulty is associated with the Wi-Fi connection between this computer and the LAN.  I have no thought as to why but when I hook the PC to an Ethernet connection it works without interruption. 

I'll keep digging.  Thanks for the suggestions.

Bob