Author Topic: Serial Y-Cable for TS-480 and HL-1.5KFX  (Read 4490 times)

NZ5E

• View Profile
Serial Y-Cable for TS-480 and HL-1.5KFX
« on: 2012-01-15, 16:50:05 »
I have been using the Remote Rig system with the head of a TS-480 located at my home to access my tower from 4.14 statute miles away.  I ordered the RRC-Micro for use when I travel and I am in the process of getting everything ready to integrate the RRC-Micro, when it arrives.

The body of the TS-480 is currently connected to a Tokyo Hy-Power HL-1.5KFX amplifier with a straight serial cable to provide band switching data to the amplifier.  I understand that I need a serial Y-cable to also provide control of the radio with HRD through virtual serial port COM2 of the Remote Rig radio box, when using the RRC-Micro.  I ordered the Tokyo Hy-Power KIC-II serial Y-cable, but have determined that it only provides bandswitching data to the amplifier when HRD is running on a local PC.  I assume that HRD is pulling a line high and enabling the optoisolation feature of the KIC-II to function?  Since I don't want to depend on a computer running HRD at the radio end of the link, I need to either modify the KIC-II cable or provide another cable solution.

Is anyone familiar with this setup to know whether I need anything special other than a straight serial Y-cable?  Do I need to wire my own so that one of the lines is not connected?

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
Re: Serial Y-Cable for TS-480 and HL-1.5KFX
« Reply #1 on: 2012-01-15, 17:23:13 »
Hi

You do not need a Y-cable just connect the PA to com1 at the Radio-RRC. And set Radio-RRC COM1 to mode 7.
The RRC will combine the data to and from the TS-480 in a more clever way then just an Y-cable. The messages will be queued and send in sequence. Be aware about the pin numbering of COM1.

73 de mike

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Re: Serial Y-Cable for TS-480 and HL-1.5KFX
« Reply #2 on: 2012-01-15, 20:44:43 »
.....and note that the COM1 serial port speed does NOT need to be identical to COM2. You
can run e.g. 9600 to the TS-4800 and 4800 to the THP.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX