Author Topic: K3 Twins - Initial Feedback  (Read 9298 times)

WW2DX (Lee)

• AOL Instant Messenger - ljimber
    • View Profile
K3 Twins - Initial Feedback
« on: 2012-01-27, 22:42:17 »
Hello Group,

Just setup the K3 twins and my initial response after holding down the Config key on the Control side was....WOW :)

Things are looking great but I have a few questions and I have experienced some unexpected behaviors.

CW/SSB problems:

1. CW is not working yet.
     When in CW mode, I start sending CW with the paddle, both radio's go into TX but no CW is sent. What is really strange is if I place the K3 into "Data" mode then the paddle sends CW perfectly.

2. Microphone is not passing audio.
     I have an adapter that I use for the front mic connector that goes from the 8 pin mic connector to a 1/4" PTT(not used) and a 1/8" Audio. When this adapter is plugged directly into the front panel on the K3 the audio works fine. When I plug into the RRC there is no audio passed to the remote K3.

I followed the settings in the manual for the K3 twins for the RRC configs.

Unexpected Behaviors:

1. The local K3 uses ANT1 connected to a dummyload when used in Twins mode. ANT2 is used for the local station amp/tower/antennas etc. This is very nice to be able to switch between local antennas and "remote" antennas.

a. Perhaps its possible to simply not TX real RF on the Control side via Firmware?

b. When the Control side K3 is NOT in TWIN mode, and the Control K3 is powered off, the remote (Radio)  K3 still powers off.
Ideally, when the control K3 is taken OUT of TWIN mode I would expect the RRC to be completely invisible. When the Control K3 is taken out of Twin mode, you still hear the Radio K3's audio.  Better yet, I would love to see the connection between the two RRC terminated all together. When the Config button is held down and the Control K3 enters Twin mode, the RRC's would attempt the connection. We will be using this in a situation where multiple users will be connecting to the Radio K3 at a mountain top QTH at different times.

I am running latest Elecraft firmware MCU 4.47 on both K3's .

RRC-Control:

Info

Name   Value
Company   Microbit
Product   1258
PID   4
Hardware   6
Software   2.50
Bootloader   1.9
Compiler   4.1.2 (WinARM 4/2007)
Build   Dec 15 2011 15:15:54
ROM/RAM   372540/50740
ETH-RAM   2944 (max 3kB!)
ResetSrc   0 [3]
Uptime   6874

Serial number   4003
MAC address   00:1e:fd:01:86:43
IP address   10.0.10.227
Netmask   255.255.255.0
Gateway   10.0.10.1
DNS   10.0.10.1

RRC- Radio

Info

Name   Value
Company   Microbit
Product   1258
PID   4
Hardware   6
Software   2.50
Bootloader   1.8
Compiler   4.1.2 (WinARM 4/2007)
Build   Dec 15 2011 15:15:54
ROM/RAM   372540/50740
ETH-RAM   2944 (max 3kB!)
ResetSrc   0 [3]
Uptime   7097

Serial number   3706
MAC address   00:1e:fd:01:85:1a
IP address   10.0.10.228
Netmask   255.255.255.0
Gateway   10.0.10.1
DNS   10.0.10.1

OK, let me stop here. I would like to get the SSB/CW working first obviously.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

73 Lee
WW2DX

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
Re: K3 Twins - Initial Feedback
« Reply #1 on: 2012-01-27, 23:57:48 »
Hi

First don't try to use the local K3 for anything else then controlling the remote, at least until everything is working. Do not use the terminal button, The RRC will take the controlling K3 into the right mode automatically.  The local K3 will never transmit there is no way it could and you do not need any dummys. Of course I asume you have connected the paddles and the microphone to the RRC not to the controlling K3. You must remove power from the RRC if you later want to use the local K3. Start from that and lets see.

73 de mike
« Last Edit: 2012-01-30, 08:36:09 by Jan (Microbit) »

WW2DX (Lee)

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2012-01-28, 01:27:58 »
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Hi

First don't tyy to use the local K3 for anything else then controlling the remote, at least until everything is working.

I have both of the K3's working correctly in the Twin mode. The control radio perfectly matches the remote K3 and all is well there. If I power off the local K3 the remote K3 powers off as well, same for powering on. So I feel I have this part of the process working.

Do not use the terminal button, The RRC will take the controlling K3 into the right mode automatically.

What/where is the "Terminal Button"? Yes the remote control seems to be working fine.

The local K3 will never transmit there is no way it could and you do not need any dummys.

Wow! OK I must have read something somewhere about using a dummy load on the local side, maybe with the Yeasu twins? Good to know.

Of course I asume you have connected the paddles and the microphone to the RRC not to the controlling K3.

Yes, this is correct, paddle and mic connected to the RRC and NOT the local K3.

You must remove power from the RRC if you later want to use the local K3.

OK, maybe possible to get this in a feature request list? Would be perfect if it "Acted" like the 706 heads, power off the head and the RRC disconnects.

Start from that and lets see.

If its easier, I can make a movie and upload to youtube.

73 Lee
WW2DX

73 de mike

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2012-01-28, 13:21:06 »
Ok

When you was talking about dummy loads  I was afraid you have connected someting to the control K3.
Then I think it's just a matter of cabling and settings.

For CW I guess you have selected wrong output, out 2 should be keyer if you use standard cables.

The SIP-connection is controlled by pwr on/off the K3 like for IC-706, but as long as the RRC are connected to the controlling K3 it will setup the SIP connection at pwr on, so what I mean is that the RRC has to be disconnected from 12V if the local K3 should be used separate.

73 de mike

K9RJ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2012-01-30, 00:16:00 »
I know the focus in on remote control. However, why not have a capability to have the remote rig slaved to the control radio so you can really take advantage of diversity reception and transmission? Harris K9RJ

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2012-01-30, 09:34:52 »
Harris,

That is a question for the Elecraft folks and has already been asked on the Elecraft
reflector. The RemoteRig team can not modify the K3 firmware.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

WW2DX (Lee)

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2012-03-28, 14:53:30 »
OK making some progress!

I was able to get CW working as Mike pointed out I needed out2 selected for keyer in the IO settings on the RADIO RRC.

For the audio to work I messed around trying to get my PR-781 to work but not much luck yet, as soon as I plugged in a crummy MFJ hand mic it all just worked so maybe I need to sniff out the pinouts.

Here is a question, how does one set the CW DVR memories remotely? When I try to set them the K3 does not "see" the CW being generated.

Also, is there a "feature request" list someplace or a bug tracker?

73!

Lee
WW2DX

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: 2012-03-29, 23:12:19 »
K3 utility can be used in the same way as a log program via com1. Set com 1  to mode 7 in both RRC. As far as I know everything works but upgrading the K3-softwares. There is a few known errors in the K3 firmware which Wayne will fix as soon as the load from the KX3 development  is lower. Concerning the RRC there is no known bugs. You can send feature requests etc via email

73 de mike

WW2DX (Lee)

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2012-04-25, 00:26:11 »
Hi Mike,

We will chat in Dayton.

I owe you at least 1 beer :)

73 Lee
WW2DX