Author Topic: no virtual com ports  (Read 5453 times)

K7ZUM

• View Profile
    • Email
no virtual com ports
« on: 2012-02-27, 03:39:20 »
Hi All,    I have downloaded the latest firmware via web updater, and can access both RRC-1258's via browser, but so far have not been able to get them to start together, one problem I am see via the Hardware manager is none of the virtual USB com ports are working, just the usual "?" in front of the RRC1258 COM0 (com9)  alongwith with com1,com2,comfsk, with the comment "this device cannot start code 10"  have tried unistalling and reinstalling, no luck yet,  anybody have any ideals ?? using a laptop with Windows XP                thanks..... Ken

Jan (Microbit)

• Software Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: no virtual com ports
« Reply #1 on: 2012-02-27, 13:50:16 »
Have you installed Microbit Setup Manager too? It installs the necessary driver files for the Com ports.
Always include type of hard/software and version when asking for support.

K7ZUM

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2012-02-27, 16:54:37 »
Yes, have installed setup manager, can talk to each indivual 1258, but have not been able to get them to connect to each other, maybe a setting wrong ??  thanks ...ken

Jan (Microbit)

• Software Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2012-02-28, 09:50:34 »
Isn't that a different issue? Not being able to connect the two RRCs and not being able to see/use the virtual com ports should not be related to each other. Which Service Pack version is on the XP you use?

K7ZUM

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2012-02-29, 07:26:41 »
Hi Jan, yes, thats a different issue, and after reading my post, I see I make no sense ! thats what I get when I am really tired ! don't even make sense to myself let alone anybody else !  so to answer your question, I do not know what service pack version is on my XP, how can I look that up ? I have gone to the windows update site and downloaded all of there latest updates.

Jan (Microbit)

• Software Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2012-02-29, 08:34:15 »
To show the Service Pack, if any click Start->Run and type winver + Enter. Service Pack 3 is recommended on XP as it handles USB better than older versions.

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2012-03-02, 10:23:42 »
I think Ken is confused on the role of these serial ports....they have nothing (ZERO) to do with the RRC's
connecting to each other. His problem is probably related to general settings/network issues.

Ken, if you drop me a mail to dj0qn (at) darc.de I will send you a simple checklist to help you out.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX