Author Topic: Dual ts-480 control panel  (Read 7789 times)

4Z4OQ

• View Profile
    • Email
Dual ts-480 control panel
« on: 2012-03-07, 09:49:52 »
Hi

Would it be possible to connect dual ts-480 control panel to one radio?
- 1st Remote control panel will work from my home via remote-rig to the remote site.
- 2nd one will be always connected for a different operator at the remote site

tnx
4Z4OQ

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
Re: Dual ts-480 control panel
« Reply #1 on: 2012-03-07, 11:30:34 »
Not in parallel, but you can put a relay controlled by one output at the Radio-RRC which disconnect the local control panel automatically when you connect over the remote.

73 de mike

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2012-03-07, 14:33:13 »
There was actually a project to do this, developed by KB9BPF. He has the instructions,
PCB layout, etc. on his Yahoo Group at:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/remoterig/files/TS480%20Control%20Head%20RS232%20Ifc/

It is a bit complex for my needs, but some may prefer that approach to Mike's relay approach.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

ON4AOI

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2012-03-13, 15:05:47 »
I posted long time ago something here Mitch

Guy ON4AOI

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2012-03-13, 15:17:29 »
Now I remember, Guy. That was a lomg time back. Why don't you post a link to your solution as well?

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

kb9bpf

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2012-04-04, 10:32:24 »
As Mitch mentioned, I worked out a way to do this. Both the local head and the one connected with RemoteRig work in parallel, simultanously. If you've ever played with a TS-2000 with the RC-2000 panel attached, it has the same feel (except the TS-480 head is much nicer than the RC-2000.)

My scheme is based on a B and B Electronics PTC serial port combiner. The PCB I developed, which Mitch posted the link to, merely does TTL-to-RS232 level translation for use with the serial port combiner, using the same 6-conductor modular jacks on the TTL side as the radio-to-head cable.

It works great and I like the idea of having local control while the remote is in use.

I also developed a small three-channel mic audio mixer so that the local mic, RemoteRig, and an auxilliary mic input which can be attached to, for example, your computer sound card or the speaker output of a TM-D710A when using as the Transporter for a Sky Command setup. To facilitate local use of VOX, the local mic audio is always live except when the RemoteRig or Aux PTT inputs are active, in which case the local mic audio is muted. However, if the local operator picks up the mic and presses the PTT the local mic is given priority and the other mic inputs are muted, giving the local operator the ability to censor the remote operator. All accomplished by a quad op-amp, 4053 CMOS switch, and two CMOS logic gate chips, the 4025 and 4001. Eight-conductor modular jacks with Kenwood mic standard connections are used, and the mixer draws it's power from the 8V power on the mic line from the radio.

Between the serial port combiner and the mic multi-source, my TS-480 interface to RemoteRig allows for a great deal of flexibility while retaining a great deal of simplicity due to use of  modular connectors wired to be compatible with Kenwood's.

Not everyone will require or even desire to emulate my setup, but for those who do, the ExpressPCB designs are available free of charge. (See the link Mitch posted.)

Brad KB9BPF

DF3FX

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2012-05-10, 22:40:28 »
Hi Brad,
Don't knwo if you are the owner of the mentionned Yahoo group, but i would love to have the files but after weeks
after subscription of group now got a mail that I was refused :-(

Is there a way you could post them here ??? or mail the files ?

Willt ry to lookup you mail and write you because actually i have only internet via phone (am with Qrl in EA1)

many thanks

Fx

(written with mobile phone)
----------
RRig with Ts-480 SAT - Distance 1000km :-)
----------

kb9bpf

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2012-05-15, 07:45:33 »
DF3FX,

I sent you a private message through this group's message service. I'm sorry about the confusion.

Brad KB9BPF
kb9bpf -at- arrl -dot- net