Author Topic: RRC1258 software suggestion  (Read 4150 times)

VK3AMC

• View Profile
    • Email
RRC1258 software suggestion
« on: 2012-03-23, 00:37:26 »
Hi all. I am experimenting with a pair of RRCs using an IC706Mk2G and a 3G USB router. All is working well. In my installation I take the audio from the radio and send it on a UHF repeater (tx and rx). It would be nice to have a software option to be able to switch off the audio stream to reduce the bandwith. This would allow me to set up the IC706 and use it mobile through the repeater without having the audio sent back to the control head. The lowest audio setting of 48kb/s still uses a fair chunk of bandwidth on our limited data plans if the radio is left on all the time.

Regards, David
VK3AMC

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
Re: RRC1258 software suggestion
« Reply #1 on: 2012-03-23, 09:12:08 »
It's not possible to switch of the audio streams totaly there need to be some data sent to keep up ports and there are some signaling also, but if the audio (codec) data is removed the amount of data will be significantly reduced. I have thought before about making a level sense function which could switch on/off the audio data when no audio is comming from the reciever, eg. when squelch is closed. I think a function like that will be useful for more users. I don't think there is many user who send the audio via a UHF repeater, but there are a lot which use 3G/4G connections.

73 de mike

VE3ZI

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2012-03-24, 00:48:47 »
That seems a good idea, but from my point of view I would prefer it to be optional. I use a 900MHz link between home and radio sites, and find that unless I keep the spectrum busy other users detect no activity and start using it. It then takes up to 60 minutes for me to grab it back again - which is a most inconvenient delay in being able to use the system effectively. (I have to keep a continuous link to the remote site anyway for security reasons.)

Nothing to do with the previous question, but how necessary is it to upgrade the firmware? I am using 2.41 and it does everything I need, so I am inclined not to rock the boat. Is that reasonable?

73 Roger
VE3ZI

VK3AMC

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2012-03-24, 12:56:10 »
Thanks Mike and Roger

Yes I think it would be a useful option to be able to gate the audio packets on squelch if it's not too difficult to incorporate into the web interface as a tick box option. This would allow me to leave the radio on a quiet frequency without using up bandwith on the 3G connection.

David