Author Topic: IC-2820 microphone connection  (Read 4649 times)

hb9dtz

• View Profile
    • Email
IC-2820 microphone connection
« on: 2010-01-12, 15:41:26 »
Good afternoon to all !

I have a question about connecting the original microphone of ICOM 2820 to the controller side RRC box.

The original remote controlling microphone of this transceiver is connected to the radio unit, not to the control head.
Replacing the original microphone by a standard one will result in complete loosing the control functionality.
In the drawings i can see the radio side but on the control head side is no information about the microphone.

Does someone knows if it is possible to use this microphone or how to interface it e.g. to the 2nd serial interface of the RRC ?

Thanks in advance for your answer !

73 de Christoph / HB9DTZ

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
Re: IC-2820 microphone connection
« Reply #1 on: 2010-01-12, 15:50:02 »
Hi

It's not possible to use the orginal microphone. Even the PTT signal is send via a serial connection with very strange levels which are not possible to connect to the other serialports. The insterst for IC-2820 has been extremly low before, so i haven't bother to see if it's possible to convert the serial connection to usable levels and transfer it to the radio. But now with increased intrest i will check what can be done.

73 de mike

hb9dtz

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: IC-2820 microphone connection
« Reply #2 on: 2010-01-13, 08:35:22 »
Good morning Mike.

Thank you for the quick response !!!

I haven't yet tested the levels on the data line between microphone and IC2820 radio but i will do this for you in the next days.
The IC2820, IC2725 and IC208 uses the same microphone but only the IC2725 has a direct connection at the control head.
If there is a simple possibility to convert the levels for 2820, i will figure out this and send you the results.

For the moment i can use my 706 microphone :-)

best regards from Switzerland:   Christoph