Author Topic: K3/0 Configuration  (Read 9258 times)

w9lp

• View Profile
    • Email
K3/0 Configuration
« on: 2012-04-30, 21:47:33 »
Hi Folks...

Just received the new K3/0 package from Elecraft.  By following the well-written instructions, I've been able to get the K3/0 working with my K3 over a small closed network in my shack... Internet Remote will come later.  So far, I have to say I'm suitably impressed!

Eventually, I would like to continue using my K3 as my primary radio when I'm at home, restoring all the integral connections to my logging app, rotor, Winkey, SteppIR SDA100 and Heil Headset, while using my K3/0 on the road with remote login to my home station.

Would like to hear from anyone else who is starting up with the K3/0 configuration... I'm interested in how folks are approaching their station design and integration to enable both remote and local operation with their K3.

73 Casey W9LP

I4GAD Enrico

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: K3/0 Configuration
« Reply #1 on: 2012-05-01, 17:36:24 »
Hello Casey,
I'm just coming from the same exciting esperience with my brand new K3/0,
in control of my K3/100 fully equipped. Everything works fine as is with my old
remote set up based on a dedicated Kenwood TS-480, a SPE 1K-FA Amplifier
(shared with the K3 thanks to the two switchable inputs), SteppIR 4El and
others antennas switched by the WebSwitch 1216H.

But now comes the difficult task: as you said, I dont want to dedicate the
K3/100 to the remote use only as I did with the TS-480, but when I'm at home,  I intend to continue to use the K3 as second rig, possibly without disconnecting a single wire!
My home set up is based upon a MicroHam MicroKeyer MKII that must be
connected to the K3, sharing many connectors with the RRC Radio Box.
I like very much the microKeyer because it is the ideal interface between my
PC and each radio on the shack (I'm using another MicroKeyer also with my main rig, the IC-7800). It is very flexible in Phone, CW and RTTY operations, and is also in charge of  controlling the PTT of the linear amplifier (Expert 1K-FA) as well as  the SteppIR and the antenna switch thanks to the auxiliary CAT output.
I want to use also the Panadapter P3 who has a pass through Rs232 connection.
My question to the forum is: does anyone uses the same setup ? What the best way to connect the RS232 lines of the MicroKEYER and RRC Box to the radio ?
I've tried to hook the RRC Controller to the RS232 of the K3, and the MicroKEYER and the P3 to COM1 of RRC setting COM1 to Mode-7, Cat to COM2 (local&remote) at the needed baud rate (38400 baud), but unfortunatelly the data flow is not smooth and continuous and both the MicroKEYER and the P3 has a strange behaviour.
Can be safe to parallel ACC, Microphone, KEY and PTTIN lines of RRC box and MicroKeyer ? 

I have posted my message because I guess some other may have interest in the matter.

73 to all

I4GAD Enrico   

w9lp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2012-05-02, 06:39:03 »
Hi Enrico... thanks very much for the detailed info.

I've learned two things since my original post...

1)  I have to make a choice between using the RRig interface or the MicroKeyer II for RTTY, Voice Keying and Digital Modes.  Anything that uses the audio to and from the K3 will be used by the RRig.  BUT, I can still use the MicroKeyer II for CW, by connecting it in parallel with the RRig CW keying line using a "Y" cable for the 1/8" connector.  I find this works fine.

2)  I can use my PC Logging Program (along with the SteppIR control, Rotor control, etc.) with the COM1 port configured as you described (the way it came configured from Elecraft)... I simply disconnected the serial link from the K3 and connected it to RRig COM1, then connected the RRig COM2 port to the K3 serial port.  I have not seen any problems so far but I've only used this configuration for a few hours.

Other than the codec connections from my MicroKeyer II, my set up is restored to the configuration I normally use.  I use my K3 when operating in my shack but I have to remember to change the MIC setting in the MENU to Front-Panel before doing so, and then back to Rear-Panel when I want to operate with the K3/0.

I still have a couple of little issues and I've contacted Elecraft Support:

- The digital background hash on my K3/0 is fairly pronounced... I assume there is a gain level I can adjust to reduce this.

- Unlike on my K3, where the Sub Band VFO operates when either LINKED or UNLINKED from the Main Band VFO, the Sub Band VFO is inoperative when in LINKED mode on my K3/0... works fine when UNLINKED.  I wonder if you've seen this on your K3/0?... The Elecraft Support folks think it might be related to a configuration parameter.

73, Casey W9LP

I4GAD Enrico

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2012-05-04, 21:21:57 »
Hello Casey,
after a deep check on all manual and a little help from my friends (Brandon KG6YPI - K3 Remote support in Elecraft), the job is done and my rig based on a K3/100, P3 Panadapter, MicroKEYER MKII, SPE EXPERT 1KFA Amplifier and SteppIR antenna can be used in any mode (SSB,CW and RTTY) locally or remotelly without any config or wiring change.
I builded a Y cable for the ACC and KEY and the respective  MicroKeyer and RRC connectors are hocked to the K3 through the Y cables.
The K3 RS232 is connected to P3 XVTR RS232,  RRC unit COM2 is connected to P3's PC RS232, and the microKEYER RS232 goes to COM1 on RRC unit.
The microphone out of RRC goes to the mike input of MicroKEYER through a microphone switch that allow to select local or remote mic source;  the PTT out  of RRC goes to the FootSwitch input of MicroKEYER.
When I operate locally I plug the headphones into the K3 who's speaker out in connected to the RRC speaker in. On the K3's config menu, SPKR+PH is set to YES.
It  is more difficult to explain than make it, but belive it or not ....it works !!
If you send me your e-mail address I can send a small schematics when ready.
Good luck and good remote DX !
I4GAD Enrico