Author Topic: Help with RRC Radio web access  (Read 6567 times)

wa6hzt

• View Profile
    • Email
Help with RRC Radio web access
« on: 2012-05-30, 04:26:59 »
Thanks in advance for any suggestions. I have the RRC's talking happily over the Internet with no issues... they work and sound great! But, the Radio RRC web access has been problematic. It did work a few days ago when I originally installed the system, but has now gone away.

I have tried changing ports to 8000, 8081, etc. to no avail. The other ports involved are 2300, 11000, and 12000. I left 80 back as the default after trying various other ports without success. It's a Linksys router that has been rock solid and I can blast holes in the firewall predictably with it for anything else.

I have confirmed the checklist items and verified it is set for the 10 minute interval, is set to ddns with the generated information showing from the initial registration. I have tried different browsers with different DNS servers (to eliminate resolution problems) and tried the known-correct IP address at the radio end with :80, :8000, etc. appended, and it still times out.

Now, here's a clue: I ran a status just now and found this-
ID   
Zone   ddns.remoterig.com
Host   xxxxxxxx
Link   xxxxxxxx.ddns.remoterig.com
Ip   XX.XXX.XX.XX
Last update   2012-05-26 06:57:44
Update count   2

Can the web server just freeze up and refuse to play along? Short of a reset, which isn't feasible at the moment, any suggestions? Looks like it has quit calling the mother ship and has been booted many times since then. The IP address is still the same as that shown in the status report.

Thanks and 73,

Gary, WA6HZT

Jan (Microbit)

• Software Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Help with RRC Radio web access
« Reply #1 on: 2012-05-30, 09:33:36 »
What are the symptoms of the problematic web access? No access at all? Slow access? Partial pages?

How were you able to change the IP of the Radio RRC's web server if it isn't possible to browse it? Did you have local access to it?

As for the update of the dynamic server's status it will only happen if the RRC detects a change in the IP address.
Always include type of hard/software and version when asking for support.

wa6hzt

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2012-05-30, 19:33:45 »
Hi, Jan... some answers for you...

The connection times out, always. There are no partial or slow loads. It's as if the port is not open, no matter if it's 80 or not.

I have a helper at the other end that can change things locally, and I have the ability to do so, as well, using CrossLoop.

If you enter the Radio RRC local IP address you can get right to it. I have configured it with and without user ID and password and it works flawlessly inside the LAN.  The problem is only from the outside.

Do you think a release/renew forcing a new IP address might help? What other information can I provide to help?

Thanks!

wa6hzt

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2012-05-31, 03:10:05 »
One more thing... I am able to telnet into the box. I could see the RRC menus no problem.

Jan (Microbit)

• Software Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2012-05-31, 10:44:46 »
If access is possible from the local LAN then I don't see how the RRC could be the cause of the external access problem. Besides rebooting the modem/router I can only think of updating the modem/router's firmware as something to try.

wa6hzt

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2012-06-01, 02:27:09 »
Hi, Jan... firmware is current for the model. I also had the idea to put the RRC in the DMZ, which *should* eliminate any port forwarding issues, but I still can't access it. I'll reboot everything one more time, but, beyond that, I'm stumped. I agree... if the RRC is serving locally, it should be serving externally. I'll post a solution if I find one, for anyone who may have a similar issue down the road.

Gary

wa6hzt

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2012-06-01, 03:58:05 »
Some success has been had, but still an issue.

I wound up trying port 8090 for the web server and it still would not connect via the xxxxxxxx.ddns.remoterig.com address. However, when I tried the IP address of the remote location with the port number appended, XX.XXX.XX.XX:8090, I got right to it. This has been working reliably for a couple hours now, but I still cannot connect using the ddns.remoterig.com route. The Radio RRC is now back behind the firewall, out of the DMZ, with only proper port forwarding, as it should be. All is well, except for the ddns resolution issue, if that's what it is.

Maybe you could look into this for me?

Many thanks...

Jan (Microbit)

• Software Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: 2012-06-01, 08:54:18 »
Have you used http://ddns.remoterig.com/status/ to check the status of the Dynamic DNS?

Remember to add the port number when using the xxxxxxxx.ddns.remoterig.com address too.
« Last Edit: 2012-06-01, 08:58:04 by Jan (Microbit) »

wa6hzt

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: 2012-06-02, 02:16:10 »
All is working fine now, thank you. For whatever reason, the port reassignment seems to have made the difference. Ah, the joys of networking...  :-)