Author Topic: WASTE OF MONEY-RCS-12 Automatic Antenna Switch - except for TS-480 ?? :(  (Read 8113 times)

WB4LCN

Why does the Ameritron webpage for the RCS-12 say that it's NOT compatible with the TS-480, but then you can buy the automatic control cables from HRO and DX Engineering? Will it or won't it?

If not, is there am Auto Antenna Switch that reads band data?

Thanks much!

dave :)
« Last Edit: 2012-06-05, 22:14:14 by WB4LCN »

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Re: RCS-12 Automatic Antenna Switch - except for TS-480 ?? :(
« Reply #1 on: 2012-06-05, 08:17:41 »
Dave,

I just downloaded the manual and took a look. Seems that the old model only used BCD data, as do
most other switches. The newer model has a mode to convert Kenwood CAT to BCD, which makes it
a bit slower.

From page 2:
"New Kenwoods: This category is for new Kenwoods that have a DB-9 connector for computer control.
Serial data is read from this port to get the band data."

From page 7:
"Since the Radio Control Port is used to get the band information from the radio. The radio must be
switched on first before powering up the RCS-12. Upon power up, the RCS-12 sends the Auto Information
(AI) command to the Kenwood radio. This instructs the Kenwood to send the radio’s status information
anytime it changes. Failure to do this will result in the radio not receiving this command and the RCS-12
not detecting a properly connected radio.
Anytime the status of the radio changes, there is a one second delay before the new information is sent
over the serial line to the RCS-12. This causes the switch to appear to respond slowly to the band changes.
This is a result of the delay from the Kenwood radio, NOT the RCS-12."

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

WB4LCN

« Reply #2 on: 2012-06-05, 17:47:35 »
Yeah, I read that too. Each time I tried, I would make sure the rig was turned on before I turned on the RCS-12.

However, the mode that converts band data from CAT to BCD? I've looked in the TS-480 menu (newer model) and do not see that. Where would I find that?

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2012-06-05, 17:57:03 »
Hi Dave,

You can't change anything in the TS-480 except for baud rate, the protocol is standard. It is in the
RCS-12 where this mode must be selected.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

WB4LCN

« Reply #4 on: 2012-06-05, 19:12:45 »
The RCS-12 manual must have been translated from another language, or something. The instructions are not clear, unless you are an engineer and know the inner-workings of the TS-480.

So, since the TS-480 is supposed to be 'incompatible', then what am I supposed to 'select' on the RCS-12? Do I set a jumper inside? If so, to what? That part about 'jumpers' is not clear either.

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2012-06-05, 20:05:47 »
Dave,

We already determined that it is no longer "incompatible", so keep cool.

I downloaded the manual again. As far as I can tell from page 7, it should
work automatically if the correct cable is used, i.e. plugged into the TS-480's
remote port. Did you buy or make your cable?

There are otherwise no apparent settings to be made on either the TS-480
or the RCS-12 as far as I can tell. Maybe there is someone on the forum that
has used the RCS-12 and can verify, since I have never seen one before.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

WB4LCN

« Reply #6 on: 2012-06-05, 20:09:09 »
Yes, I bought the cable from DX Enginering. That one didn't work. Then I borrowed one from HRO, thinking that the one I had was bad. It did not work either.

dave

WB4LCN

« Reply #7 on: 2012-06-05, 20:16:01 »
Mitch, check this out. It's the PDF for the relay box that connects to the antennas. Could that be incorrect? I used three wires and a fourth wire to ground and to the plugs outer shield casing - four wires. Manually, it works great, but not automatically.

http://www.ameritron.com/pdffiles/RCS-10.pdf

« Last Edit: 2012-06-05, 20:18:25 by WB4LCN »

WB4LCN

« Reply #8 on: 2012-06-05, 22:13:40 »
Well, that was a waste of money. Looks like it's about time to rip out the RCS-12, crank down the tower MANUALLY, and remove the relay box. I have another optional that I'll use.

I would use the WebSwitch as advertised here, but I have to be an engineer to get it working - and the only help on this baord is quick and dirty and with the assumption that you are an expert like them. Maybe there would not be some many problem threads if you offered simple solutions. Mitch has been somewhat.

I'm frustrated! RemoteRig would be great, but it's not Turn Key. Too many issues for a newbie to weed through.

dave :(

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Hi Dave,

Don't get frustrated too fast......I highly suggest that you ask your question on a specific forum
or Yahoo Group related to Ameritron/MFJ. There you will find people with the knowledge, since this
is not really related to RemoteRig. Alternatively, you can call their hotline.

The manual of course always refers to BCD data, which is the standard when it comes to switching.
Kenwood unfortunately does not provide this output natively, so there is always some some of process
required to convert Kenwood CAT to BCD, either directly within the switch, or by using a band decoder
that can understand CAT. I have a mail that I wrote that summarizes what I have seen on the market
to switch remotely, and can forward that to you if you are interested, but in your case you already have
the RCS-12.

I have set-up a number of remote stations and helped many others do so. By far the most complex issue
has been antenna switching. However, I have always seen these challenges as part of what makes ham radio
the hobby it is. We are not there for "plug and play" pleasure, but need to have some basic technical skills and
are willing to put work and knowledge into getting our stations (and now remote stations) working. At least
that has been part of the fun I have had the past 44 years since I received my first license. So please see this as
part of the fun and challenge, since there will be further pitfalls along the way, this is surely not the last one.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX