Author Topic: ft-857d over Lan  (Read 5134 times)

Nic

• View Profile
ft-857d over Lan
« on: 2010-01-24, 19:28:24 »
Hi,
First, Congratulations for the great idea and developement of Remote Rig!!.

We have been working for some years a remote station, first with a ft-100d and later a ft-857d, fully over a 2.4GHZ 22km long point to point Link. We used "Robust Audio Tool" software for Two way HI-FI audio and 2 x Lantronix UDS-10 for RS232 tunneling over tcp-ip. For CW, we used a Linux box as a cw server(used for our packet cluster), keying from a ssh console. At home, we used Robust Audio Tools for audio and Ham Radio Deluxe for CAT. The setup have been working fine for years, but none Replaces the feel of push buttons and Dial when looking for very weak signals. At first we were dissapointed for the lack of support of Remote Rig for our FT857D and planning to go for the Kenwood way, but before making the investiment we have some questions:
Do you think it shoud be possible to use the "remote rig boxes" with the ft857d on a Lan network (Wi-fi link)?.
We have a tcp-ip ping delay of 3-5 ms. In the next future we are plannig to upgrade the 22km link to the 5Ghz band and surely we will get better ping and bandwidth.

73 es Dx from Nic
Castellón/Spain

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
Re: ft-857d over Lan
« Reply #1 on: 2010-01-24, 20:16:13 »
Hi

It´s pity that its not working with the 857 with detached control panel. Buts its not much to do about it,
Yes it´s no problem using WLAN links. If you upgrade I recommend Powerstation 5 www.ubnt.com whith them 22 km on 5 GHz is no problem I have used them for several years and they are very reliable.

73 de mike

Nic

• View Profile
Re: ft-857d over Lan
« Reply #2 on: 2010-01-24, 22:38:48 »
Thanks for the info Mike
We will study these, they are inexpensive and very compact. I am also impressed of temperature extremes it can  withstand "-40C a 85C" !!

73 from Nic