Author Topic: PROBLEMS AFTER NEW INTERNETT MODEM  (Read 9063 times)

LA4ESA

• View Profile
    • Email
PROBLEMS AFTER NEW INTERNETT MODEM
« on: 2012-06-15, 17:15:15 »
I have placed in a new modem on my internett connection. The new speed is download 30Mbit and upload 5Mbit. This is in the controll end. Before this, the speed was 20/2. The RRC control unit connect to the internett, but it's not possible to switch on the radio. Everything is ok at the radio end. Anyone out there who have any suggest for what to do??
Heeeeeelp  :-[
Per LA4ESA
73 de LA4ESA, Per

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Re: PROBLEMS AFTER NEW INTERNETT MODEM
« Reply #1 on: 2012-06-15, 17:20:34 »
Per,

If you changed your router, you may have a new subnet, e.g. 192.168.X.100, where "X" is
the other subnet.  If you have your RRC with a fixed internal IP number instead of DHCP, then
it can't find its way to the internet.

Check your RRC with the USB cable and Setup Manager to either change your IP number to
match your network, or else to change it to DHCP. Then it should work again.

The other alternative is to change the new router to be the same subnet as the old router,
then the RRC and any other devices with fixed internal IP numbers will work as before.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

LA4ESA

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2012-06-16, 00:15:15 »
Thanks Mitch for answering. I
t's not the wireless router which is new, it's the modem.
As before, the wireless router are connected to the modem, the RRC are connected to the router via cable, as before. The RRC unit is connected to internet and has find it's way out, it's in the same subnet as the computer.  And RRC is set to DHCP: ON. The green (PWR) lamp on RRC is stadily. But when i push the on/off button on the radio display, it want be switched on. The bandwidth from the internett supplier has increased, from 20/2 to 30/5. Do i have to change any settings in the control RRC after that increasing?

LA4ESA Per
73 de LA4ESA, Per

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2012-06-16, 00:30:11 »
Hi Per,

If you are positive that the subnet has not changed, then there is no logical reason why this
should no longer work. Changed line speeds has no effect.

I would recycle the radio RRC power as well, just to make sure. Perhaps it is a coincidence,
and something there is wrong, e.g. the dynamic DNS address didn't update correctly (although
then the green light wouldn't be on).

If that doesn't help, then we all need to put our thinking caps on. However, in that case I would suspect
something in the modem is blocking ports or something. Make sure you are NOT using port 5060 for
SIP, since in Europe many routers/modems block this port for internal VoIP use.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

LA4ESA

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2012-06-16, 07:02:00 »
Mitch.
You are probably right and i'm wrong. But, i can see the differences, but do actually not know how to solve it.
First of all,  I did the following test:
connected the control RRC direct to the modem and the radio switched on. So, the problem is in the router. I would like to make a print screan of all the information in my router, but i don't like to express all that information in this forum.
But, there are 2 "systems" in the router with this information. The WAN and the LAN. Which of them should i concentrate on??
Information in WAN:
MAC Address : DIFFERENT FROM THE RRC
IP Address : DIFFERENT FROM THE RRC
Subnet Mask : DIFFERENT FROM THE RRC
Default Gateway : DIFFERENT FROM THE RRC
Primary DNS Server : DIFFERENT FROM THE DNS SERVER IN THE RRC
Secondary DNS Server : DIFFERENT FROM THE DNS SERVER IN THE RRC
Advanced DNS : Disabled

Information in LAN:
MAC Address : DIFFERENT FROM THE RRC
IP Address : DIFFERENT FROM THE RRC, BUT SAME AS GATEWAY AND DNS SERVER
Subnet Mask : DIFFERENT FROM THE RRC
DHCP Server : Enabled (SAME AS IN RRC)

So, i understnad that the problem is with this, but pls tell me what to do............

I use SIP port 5020 in the RRC and WEB SERVER PORT 80. The WEB server port 80 is opened via port forwarding in the router, as it has been from day 1, both in TCP and UDP.

73 de Per LA4ESA
73 de LA4ESA, Per

LA4ESA

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2012-06-16, 07:18:47 »
Hi again Mitch
Maby this simply could be solved by taking the main cable from the modem, put on a split contact, with one cabe to the router which is needed for other equipment and one cable from the split contact direct to the RRC unit??
I could give it a try.....................

73 de Per LA4ESA
73 de LA4ESA, Per

LA4ESA

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2012-06-16, 19:59:53 »
Dr. Mitch
You did give me some ideas.
Now all work nice.
I connected the RRC to the old switch, as well as the cable from the modem. Now it's not connected to the router at all. The router are also connected to the switch, in use for other equipment.
73 de Per LA4ESA
73 de LA4ESA, Per

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: 2012-06-16, 22:29:57 »
Hi Per,

Sorry, I was out all day today, the weather finally got nice here in Munich.

Glad to hear that you got it working, although I am not quite sure why it works  ;)

My theory is that your modem is not really a pure modem, but indeed does some
basic functions that a router does. I have seen that in Germany with the Alice modems.

Hopefully everything will continue to work.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

LA4ESA

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: 2012-06-18, 10:49:20 »
Hi again Mitch.
Good to hear the WX is better.
Well, the new modem probably has the problem that it can't let through and handle the SIP protocol. Therefore i have no gone back to the old modem, and have ordered a new modem from my internett supplier. The new one i will gett is for both internett and IP phone, same as the old one but with higher speed.
Now i connect the system as allways, Modem to switch, RRC to switch, computer to switch and wireless router to switch. If i ditach this xtra switch and connec like this:
Modem to wireless router, computer and RRC direct with cable,to the built in switch in the wireless router. Computer work very well, but the router does not let through the RRC.
Do you know what i have to tell the wireless router to do to let the RRC through?
The RRC is in IP config set to yes on DHCP and the DHCP is activated in the router.

73 de LA4ESA Per
73 de LA4ESA, Per

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: 2012-06-18, 10:59:27 »
Hi Per,

Yes, you must always forward at least the SIP port and the two other UDP ports (11000 & 12000) in your router
to make it work. However, I highly suggest that you change your SIP port from 5060 to something else. Many routers
block this port for VoIP and it won't pass correctly. Even if it works from the home router, it may not work from the
remote location.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

LA4ESA

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: 2012-06-18, 21:47:32 »
Mitch
I have, through port forwarding in the router, opened port nr. 5020, 11000, 12000, 80 and 23. I have always used port 5020 in the RRC units.
Nothings of this helps. I have tried to use DMZ for the RRC unit, dos not work.
THE RRC is set to DHCP.
I don't know what stops it. When  i connect the RRC direct to the modem, all is ok.
But, then i have to use a switch, because i have to connect the computer as well.
I can just leave it like that, i only use the wireless router for iphone, ipad and other wireless computers from visitors.
No one can get into the RRC from the outside, i use a password to get through to it.
But the safest way would be through the router.
Per LA4ESA
73 de LA4ESA, Per

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: 2012-06-19, 09:28:20 »
Hi Per,

That is indeed strange. I could take a look at your router if you want, but if it
works, I wouldn't worry about it too much  ;)

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX