Author Topic: Sound Buffer question  (Read 4978 times)

W6SA

• View Profile
Sound Buffer question
« on: 2012-06-26, 05:13:59 »

I am testing my RRC Client at work and it quite often fills the sound buffer indicator bar completely with Red bars.  I saw that a filled indicator indicates that the speaker is not processing the incoming data quickly enough.  What would be the cure for that?

Could this just be a symptom of an overloaded and crappy computer system?  At work we run XP Professional SP3.  I have to run multiple applications on this computer and they usually have some lag time and hang ups.

I have to test this out at home on my network and see how it responds to a more robust system.  Just getting back to setting up again and had a lot of glitches along the way.  Once I have this worked out I will have to update the MKII boxes to the latest and greatest.

Also, I see Green and Blue Bars in the Indicator when it is not full of red bars.  I know that as long as it doesn't go to zero I am fine but what is the signifigance of the different colors?

Thanks for any suggestions.

73 de Walt, W6SA

roland

Re: Sound Buffer question
« Reply #1 on: 2012-06-26, 10:42:40 »
The color markings is of no importance and will be removed. Only one color will be used.

If you often get a full bar then you PC is probably occupied by other things and can't play the sound packets fast enough. There is a buffer overrun. Hard to say what causes that exactly. Have you tested without having other things running?

If the bar becomes empty the internet connection is slowing down things and sound packets are not coming in fast enough.

W6SA

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2012-06-26, 16:48:21 »
Thanks Roland.

I sort of thought it was my crappy work computer.  I work in a call center and when there are no calls I am free to surf, read, play, whatever...  I LOVE this job!  If it only paid a bit better it would be perfect.  I work a couple of evening shifts in addition to my day shifts and call volume is usually pretty light then.  Time for play!

It is an older computer with only 3 GB addressable RAM and I have to keep several applications open at all times.  I have enough problems with delays and hang ups on those apps so it was no surprise to see the PC Client being affected.

Actually the audio seemed to be coming in OK even with the buffer full of bars.  I have had it cutting out on me on other occasions however. 

They have been talking about replacing this computer for the past 2 years so it is just a matter of time until I see a new machine.  I am NOT holding my breath waiting for that day to arrive.

Glad to know the bar colors have no bearing on anything.

73 de Walt, W6SA

W6SA

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2012-06-27, 07:21:26 »

PC Client works fine on home network with no buffer issues.  Time to start lobbying for a new work computer.   ::)

roland

« Reply #4 on: 2012-06-27, 07:47:12 »
New computers are always fun :) Good Luck