Author Topic: Micro PC, TS-480 and Bandmaster III?  (Read 5358 times)

WB4LCN

• View Profile
    • Email
Micro PC, TS-480 and Bandmaster III?
« on: 2012-07-27, 17:59:49 »
I have the Bandmaster III taking the CAT output from the TS-480 and using it to switch my 4 antennas. In order to use the Micro PC Client, do I need to have that CAT connection for rig control, or is that linked through the Radio RRC as usual? In short, do I need to free up that CAT connection to use the Micro PC Client?

dave :)

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Re: Micro PC, TS-480 and Bandmaster III?
« Reply #1 on: 2012-07-27, 19:06:02 »
Hi Dave,

Yes, the PC Client must use CAT, so COM2 on the radio RRC must be connected to the TS-480's serial
port.

If you are not using COM1 on the RRC, then just loop back the CAT through COM1 and connect that to
the band decoder. You place COM1 in mode-6 and make sure you pay attention to the pinout on COM1,
since it is a mirror image of COM2.

If you are already using COM1, then you have a choice of either moving that device to a separate serial
device server, or trying a Y-cable on COM1 or COM2 to see if it works (no guarantee).

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

WB4LCN

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2012-07-27, 19:19:57 »
I'm using COM2 for the rotor control. I'm not using COM 1 port on the radio RRC.

If you are not using COM1 on the RRC, then just loop back the CAT through COM1 and connect that to
the band decoder. You place COM1 in mode-6 and make sure you pay attention to the pinout on COM1,
since it is a mirror image of COM2.

I'm confused on this. It appears that you are saying that I connect the TS-480 CAT to COM1 on the radio RRC and then connect the Bandmaster - but how? USB? Are you suggesting that in Mode 6 the radio RRC becomes a serial splitter, of sorts?
« Last Edit: 2012-07-27, 19:43:38 by WB4LCN »

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2012-07-27, 19:59:31 »
Are you saying you don't use CAT currently at all, and have that on COM1? That will not
work with the PC Client, if that is what you plan to implement. You need to rethink your
strategy along the lines I outlined before. You can not use CAT software without the CAT
signal! The PC Client is useless without it.

Again: put a standard serial cable between the TS-480's serial port and COM2 of the radio RRC.
Place COM2 in mode-4. Then change COM1 to mode-6, which routes a duplicate (=splitter) CAT signal
through the radio RRC to COM1. There you can connect a second device using a normal serial cable to
COM1 that requires CAT for sync purposes. The baud rate is not required to be identical to COM2.

Clear now?

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

WB4LCN

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2012-07-27, 20:14:44 »
Here is what I have now:

- From the TS-480 CAT to the Bandmaster controlling the antenna relays with automatic band data. Whenever I change bands on the radio, the antennas switch to the appropriate band.

- I do not use the COM1 port on the Radio RRC.

- I do use the COM2 port to control the rotor on the Radio RRC and back at home on the Controll RRC to a PC with rotor control software.

QUESTION: What would I need to change in order to retain the automatic band/antenna switching and to retain the remote rotor control, yet use the Micro PC Client?

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2012-07-27, 20:16:18 »
Read my first reply again, it answer these questions completely.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX