Author Topic: Trouble with WIFI Modules  (Read 7723 times)

WW2DX (Lee)

• AOL Instant Messenger - ljimber
    • View Profile
Trouble with WIFI Modules
« on: 2012-08-30, 20:18:12 »
Greetings,

Received two WIFI kits and attempted to install one. I first used solder wick to "pull" the solder out of the pin holes. Both of my RRC's are "Old style" and only have 10 PINS. After I used solder wick I then used a "Solder Sucker" to pull the rest of the solder from the holes so I could visibly see through the board. The only two pins I could not see through were pins 3 and 4. For these pins I tried both wick and the sucker and with difficulty I was able to pull some solder out of pins 3/4 with the sucker but only enough to make an "indent". I then inserted the 10 pin header and continued to heat the holes and set the header into the board. Since pins 3/4 are very difficult to deal with I left a fair amount of space between the pin header and the board so I could solder pins 3/4 from the top as well as the bottom of the board to make sure they have contact. I then installed the wire jumper from pin 8 for the reset signal.

My RRC's have firmware 2.60, installed. I powered up the unit and used the Microbit Manager to connect to the RRC.

Upon power on I get the RED LED on the WIFI board. Success so far.

From the Microbit manager, I then open the WIFI console, when I click scan I can successfully see a couple WIFI networks in the area. If I hit SCAN a second time I then receive the error message "WIFI module not installed". If I power cycle the RRC sometimes I am successful with scanning and other times I still get "WIFI module not installed".

I then attempted to duplicate this process with my 2nd RRC and I also get the exact same results. I am able to scan and see WIFI networks on the first power up then "WIFI module not installed" error after the initial power on.

Conclusion, with two separate RRC's and WIFI modules I get the same exact behavior.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks, 73
Lee
WW2DX

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
Re: Trouble with WIFI Modules
« Reply #1 on: 2012-08-30, 20:32:39 »
Hi Lee
I will let the experts look at it tomorrow, to me it sounds like you have not solder the extra cable which is reset to the right pin.

73 de mike

WW2DX (Lee)

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2012-08-30, 20:47:32 »
Thanks Mike for the quick reply.

I have attached a pic of my connecting wire.

Lee
WW2DX

WW2DX (Lee)

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2012-09-04, 23:02:10 »
Mike, another question, are the RRC's that are ordered today already have the pin header soldered on the board? IE, can we order RRC's with WIFI option from factory?

73 Lee
WW2DX

Jan (Microbit)

• Software Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2012-09-05, 08:44:51 »
... If I hit SCAN a second time I then receive the error message "WIFI module not installed".
Just to be sure, do you literally get that error message? I would suspect it to be "No Wi-Fi card" instead of "WIFI module not installed".
Always include type of hard/software and version when asking for support.

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2012-09-05, 09:29:18 »
Yes RRC:s produced from June 2012 already have the pinheader in place.

Jan is looking into your problem.

73 de mike

Jan (Microbit)

• Software Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2012-09-05, 10:17:54 »
Lee,

I am not able to reproduce such a behavior. I can click at the Scan button with the speed of a woodpecker and it works ok every time. Have you tried using another computer too?
Always include type of hard/software and version when asking for support.

WW2DX (Lee)

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2012-09-18, 19:58:04 »
Thanks guys for the reply.

I just revisited the first RRC that I modified. I tried another laptop and client and it works. I went back to the original laptop and it works! I have no idea why it works now but it does. I will check the other RRC later tonight or tomorrow and let you know what I find out.

73!
Lee
WW2DX

WW2DX (Lee)

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2012-09-18, 20:11:58 »
OK another question, I just called HRO, they claim they just got a shipment of RRC's yesterday and I asked if they could tell if the man date was June 2012 or newer. They said the only thing they see is version 6.0. Will these have the PIN headers already soldered on?

73 Lee
WW2DX