Author Topic: RemoteRIK MKII and Signalink USB II  (Read 5716 times)

IZ4MJP

• View Profile
    • Email
RemoteRIK MKII and Signalink USB II
« on: 2012-09-10, 13:22:22 »
Hello to the Group.

As i'd like to start doing RTTY (PSK31 as well) in remote so i'm looking for a setup.
I own a Kenwood TS-480 SAT and a Signalink USB II (plus RemoteRIG MKII).

Has someone had experience with this configuration?
For the audio in (to Segnalink) i've thought to split the "Speaker OUT" signal in the Control Unit but i have doubt for the Out (from Signalink to RRC).

I mainly use Mix W for digital activities.

Many tnx for any help.

Vy 73
Franco, IZ4MJP

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Re: RemoteRIK MKII and Signalink USB II
« Reply #1 on: 2012-09-10, 13:27:46 »
Hi Franco,

No problem using the Signalink, I know a few people who use it all the time. Just plug
it into the RRC as if it is the rig. Of course, you need a good internet connection without
dropouts.

I would however suggest that you send RTTY using the RRC's virtual FSK port, since this will
be a much cleaner solution. Look at the manual for details.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

KP4TR

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2012-09-11, 02:46:23 »

Hello,
It is possible to use Signalink, and wiring is straightforward, but I prefer to use a Rigblaster because I can use the in-line mic to speak after a transmission, as like in SSTV. Rigblaster requires a soundcard and serial cable for PTT, where Signalink (USB) is all integrated with sound/Vox PTT.

Personally, I decided against sending audio down the Remoterig due to latency. When I lived in an apartment close to my house, it was no issue as latency had no effect. But in Puerto Rico, it is a bit of a problem, so I decided to place the Signalink connected directly to the remote radio, and I use Teamviewer and a local computer in the remote station to work digital modes. Works great for me, no latency, perfect audio and lots of fun.

In December, a friend will be installing a Signalink at his remoterig station in Ponce , Puerto Rico to do similar setup as mine.
A picture of my setup can be seen here (Signalink is hidden from view) -
http://kp4tr.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/remoterig_carolina_radios.jpg

In this post, I use a Rigblaster to work SSTV via Remoterig. This was when I lived only 6 miles away from my setup in Florida:
http://www.remoterig.com/forum/index.php?topic=549.0

IZ4MJP

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2012-09-17, 14:02:25 »
Many thanks for the answers.
I'll give a try at the FSK solution.

I've read the manual for the details as DJ0QN suggested but i found some explanation a little difficult for my abilities and i would avoid to "burn" something.

I very appreciate if someone can help me posting here the right HW setup (cable from RR Radio -> TS-480) and sw configuration.

I'll continue to study the manual.

Vy 73
Franco, IZ4MJP / HB9EIH