Author Topic: Connect ad-hoc  (Read 8849 times)

Gramps

• View Profile
    • Email
Connect ad-hoc
« on: 2012-09-03, 06:24:20 »
Has anyone tried to connect these using wifi without a router?  In Pc's I think it's called ad-hoc and you can connect two devices without a router.

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Re: Connect ad-hoc
« Reply #1 on: 2012-09-03, 09:07:02 »
The default shipped configuration is setup to do just that. This allows a test before
moving onto a network.

Otherwise, it is never a problem to just change the IP addresses to be the same subnet
and connect them together.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

Gramps

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2012-09-06, 04:09:31 »
Thank you Mitch, as my name imply's I'm not used to networking,,,,ha,ha.
73's, Bill KH6OO

Gramps

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2012-09-06, 07:05:49 »
I made the IP address and Net Mask the same,,,,,how do I get them to appear in the WiFi list?
Bill KH6OO

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2012-09-06, 09:07:11 »
Hi Bill,

I missed the part that that you were using WiFi before. I assumed a normal ethernet ad-hoc network,
sorry for missing that. All you need for that s an ethernet cable with a cross-over adapter.

Assuming you can enter a name manually as the SSID for the WiFi module that you are using, then
just make both RRC's the same without a password and change the mode to ad-hoc , and that should
work. That works in all the bridges I have used, such as the Netgear WNCE2001.

If you are using the new internal module from RemoteRig, I am not sure if it has an ad-hoc mode.
The manual seems to indicate that it only scans existing networks. If not, this would be a feature
request.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2012-09-06, 16:00:20 »
Hi

No the the WiFi chip supports ad-hoc but we have not implemented support for ad-hoc in the RRC-firmware.

73 de mike

Gramps

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2012-09-06, 21:02:54 »

I tried to connect with a Ethernet cross-over cable using the ad-hoc feature of my laptop.  I did the "ipconfig" and got this result.
IPV4 Address = 169.254.193.193
Subnet Mask  = 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway = (nothing is in this space)

I configured the Remoterig to this:
IP address = 169.254.200.227
all other entry's I left to default.

Plugging in the cross-over cable after a few seconds got me "Unidentified network".  I did the setup new connection or network in the "Network and Sharing Center".  It does seem to connect but my browser can't find it.
Used 169.254.200.227 on my browser but no connect.

If I test the network adapter is reports this,,,,Local Area Connection does not have a valid IP configuration - not fixed.

I tried DHCP option no difference.

I really feel dumb.
Bill KH6OO

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: 2012-09-06, 22:24:21 »
Bill,

Again I misunderstood you. I assumed you wanted the two RRC's to connect to each other
directly via an ad-hoc network, I wasn't aware that you wanted to use a PC to connect to one.

Please explain what it is you are trying to do, I really don't understand the purpose. It would
be easier in that case to put the RRC to DHCP and plug into your network switch and access
it via your PC as a normal network device.

Otherwise, if for some reason you do not have a network available and must connect them
directly to each other, the settings you provided should work. To make it easier, use the
Microbit Setup Manager and go to the Netinfo tab, then click on the button to browse the
RRC. This method would cover any mistakes you make typing into the browser.

Maybe if I understood why you are trying to get to the RRC that way, I can provide more
qualified help.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

Gramps

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: 2012-09-07, 01:41:46 »
Thank you for your help. 
The first thing I wanted to do was configure the two RRC 1258 units using WiFi but they wouldn't show up in the WiFi detect window of the RCC.  So I began to explore using an Ethernet connection.
After a great deal of expermentation with various setting I finally tried these IP settings.

I discovered that my Ethernet adapter is set to "Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address",,,,,so every time I plugged in my Ethernet cable the computer IP address changed.  Unknown to me this put the RCC out of range of the mask.
For my last trial the computer IP address was 169.254.193.183,,,,so I configured the "Controll RCC" to 169.254.193.186.

IT WORKED!!!!

If I understand correctly I may have been assigning an incorrect IP address and should have assigned one just a number or two up as I just did.  I am now very happy and please accept my apology for bothering you with something I should have figured out.
By the way my operating system is Windows 7 - 64bit.  I will query my network adapter each time I reconfigure or maybe I'll change the Ethernet adapter to a static setting.  That's a later not so important thing now.

When all is set up I want to use WiFi ad-hoc to operate wireless between my office and home,,,,,about 300 feet in distance.  I understand from answers that this feature is a future option.  In the mean time I will connect the Control RCC to a wireless router with a Ethernet cable and run only a local wireless network to connect my RRC units.
Thank you again. 
Everything is working fine.
Aloha, Bill KH6OO

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: 2012-09-07, 18:48:20 »
Aloha Bill,

Glad that you got it working. No problem, I had trouble following you on what you
wanted to do. If you need anything, be sure to post another message on the forum
and someone will help you out.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX