Author Topic: CAT set up  (Read 5443 times)

M0BPQ

• View Profile
    • Email
CAT set up
« on: 2010-02-14, 10:02:45 »
Gang,

I need some advice. I have an RRC v1 which I want to use with my FT-847. I have built the cables and tested them back to back and they work fine. When I place the two RRCs in line, the system also works for audio (TX and RX) and also PTT. The problem I have is that I cannot make CAT control work at all.

Just to refresh – CAT works when the cables are back to back.  I have the DB9s plugged into the RS232 ports on the front of the RRCs. The radio requires 9K6 baud, 8 bits, 2 stop bits and N parity. I am using the "serial setting" screen to alter the settings and am using COM1 mode = 3, Com 1 baud rate = 9600, com1 data bits = 8, com 1 stop bits = 2, com 1 parity = 0.

Am I using the right COM mode for the FT-847 (I tried 4)? What value = N parity (I have tried, 0,1,2).

What have I missed? I know it is obvious and it is driving me mad....
Steve

e72x

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: CAT set up
« Reply #1 on: 2010-02-14, 18:15:34 »
Hi,

Please check Jmp-3 must be in short position and try to use mode 3... I think it should be work...

regards,

e72x - Gordan

M0BPQ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2010-02-14, 22:32:36 »
Hi,

Thanks for your reply.  I am sure this works for the V2 RRC, but I am using V1 with the RS232 board and there aren't any jumpers to alter - these were introduced in V2. I am missing something even more simple I am afraid!

Thanks es 73
Steve

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2010-02-17, 19:45:07 »
Hi

You should use Radiomode 3 as you say. You should connect the RS-232 cables to COM-2, the port on the back of the RRC, NOT to COM-1 on the front.
I found an error in drawing Y4 for RRC ver 1 there should be a Female connector in the cable to the radio CAT port, I have changed the drawing now.
90 % of those who have problem with the CAT interface has not connected pin 7 and 8 together in the D-sub connected to the radio.

73 de mike

M0BPQ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2010-02-21, 00:30:43 »
Thanks for your input Mike,

I have had another sessionon this tonight and tried your suggestions. I have finally got everything working, but not exactly as you suggested.

On my V1 boxes I now use the *front* com port, the rear ones as suggested don't work for me (the FT847 requires a serial pass through so perhaps that is the issue?).  I had tried lots of different things, but on a whim I swapped around pins 2 and 3 at the RRC control end. Voila - everything was OK! I went and repeated my back to back CAT cable test and nothing was working (it did before the pin swap). So, is my serial back to back adapter a null cable which had caused me all this pain? When I did a continuity test, it was straight through, so that wasn't the issue! I have to say that I don't really understand, and it isn't so easy to test continuity further as I am using a custom cable from a microham MKII. But it is finally working, so I am delighted.

Perhaps someone will be able to learn from this post in the future?
CU on the air
Steve
M0BPQ