Author Topic: Setting up Icoms software RS-BA1  (Read 19625 times)

Kari SM0HRP

• View Profile
Setting up Icoms software RS-BA1
« on: 2012-11-29, 12:49:02 »
Hi!
I have read on this forum that some have suceeded in getting Icoms remote software RS-BA 1 working with the RRC locally (com 2 in parall with com 0) connected  to a PC and RS-232. As I understand this should be feasible without using the Remote Utility part of the software bundle that, as I understand, only provides virtual COM ports for a PC at remote location.
I have configured a IC-7600 with correct CI-V adresses and COM port 1 (of local PC) in the software settings of the Remote Controll but still cannot get it to connect to radio at remote location. Using TRX -manager locally instead works just superbly so I cannot see what is the trick to get RS -BA 1 to play correctly. Any clues? Do i need to use the  Remote Utility program to do something?
Thanking in advance,
SM0HRP

DF1NP

• View Profile
Re: Setting up Icoms software RS-BA1
« Reply #1 on: 2012-11-29, 20:34:29 »
Hi,
I`m using RS-BA1 (also N4PY CAT) and IC-7600 for over one year now, without remote utility.
Settings on IC-7600: COM 2, CI-V adress (Radio) 7a, CI-V adress ( RS-BA1) E0, Baud 9600, remote-utility no.
First make sure RS-BA1 is running via USB-cabel to IC-7600 locally.
For the RRC`s serial setting you can use COM 2 logical parallel with COM 0. I prefer COM 0 with levelcontroller RS 232 to TTL on control and COM 0 on radiosite TTL to CI-V IC-7600. So COM 2 still is free.

Willi

Kari SM0HRP

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2012-11-30, 13:56:24 »
Hi Willi,
Vielen dank fur das schnelle antworte. Ich habe doch die rig am remote location so es ist schwer zu testen erst mit die USB kabel. Kann mann etwas anderes tun?
Vieleicht kan man mit USB kabel in parallell mit COM0 versuchen in die RRC controll  ob die. RS-BA1  die PC Com port besser finden kan. Jetz kann die software nicht COM Port 1 finden or andere COM Porten.
Kari

DF1NP

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2012-11-30, 15:18:31 »
Hi Kari,

After clicking the connect on/off button (and remote button) he should change to green and all other buttons, switches, vfo... must respond without a connect to your radio. This shows a regular installation of RS-BA1.  May be after you read "cannot open the Comport".

If TRX-Manager is working satisfactory, so RS-BA1 also should remote your rig in the same way with the settings , I told you. You also may test your radio/serial-settings with software HRD and N4PY (free for 10 days).

Willi

Kari SM0HRP

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2012-12-01, 21:40:52 »
Hi Willi,
Thanks for all inputs. I will check with HRD and see why I cannot get it to contact the rig. U used to get HRD connecting to COM Port 1 of PC but now it does not work either. So something is strange. A pleasant weekend,
73s Kari SM0HRP

Kari SM0HRP

• View Profile
Re: Setting up Icoms software RS-BA1 solved
« Reply #5 on: 2012-12-03, 18:28:46 »
Hello!
Just wanted to say that RS-Ba1 now works and connect to rig as TRX-manager. Problem was one stop bit but to many (2 bits instead of one) in the COM port 2 setting in controll RRC. Even HRD now works. TRX manager did not bother with this.
Early evaluation of RS-BA1 shows some inconstistencies in comparison with TRX- manager. But this could be do to old firmware in IC-7600. Thanks for all good inputs.
73 Kari SM0HRP

DF1NP

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2012-12-04, 12:45:58 »
Congrates Kari!

I you upgrate to 1.3 I recommend the ICOM encoder RC-28.

Willi

Kari SM0HRP

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2012-12-05, 17:20:28 »
Hi Willi,
Yes thanks and I appreciate all your inputs. I have ordered the RC-28 (hope to get it on Friday) and upgraded to v.1.3 of the firmware. Have you used the RC-28? I also upgraded to firmaware 1.11 for IC-7600.
But I have now tested the RS-BA1 but there some bugs. I cannot change VFO B under split operation. It sticks to the latest VFO B frequency. Often it looses connection and sayes "Lost connection would you like to  try again?"
I can not find Dual Watch  - is this implemented? 
What is your experinec with it? How much bandwidht does it require? It seems to use more bandwidth than TRX-manager. I have about 300-500 kB upstreams but share with ACOM 2000A, three RT-21 rotors controlls, PM2 power meters and some IP-cameras verey now and then. My set up can be seen here:
http://dxsupply.com/userfiles/file/ACOM%202000A%20Remote%20Eng(1).pdf
73 Kari SM0HRP

DF1NP

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2012-12-06, 14:32:16 »
Hi Kari,
Yes I`m using RC-28 and it is working absolut fine. In splitoperation to change Vfo B you can push A/B or xfc-button (also shortcuts).
A big RS-BA 1-problem is to loose the connection. For this I started a topic http://www.remoterig.com/forum/index.php?topic=1443.0 but no satisfied answer. I think the problem is too much traffic on my DSL-line because from another connection out of town RS-BA1 is very stable. So additional I use N4PY software together with a flexcontrol knob. Witch is very stable and allows also dualwatch. Btw. I do not require more than 2000 kb dwn and 500 kb up in maximum.

Willi

Kari SM0HRP

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2012-12-08, 14:23:10 »
Hi Willi,
Ok thanks I will check those settings for VFO B. Fine on your DSL settings bur there must be something malfunctioning in the RS-Ba1 that it losses connection even at the speeds you mention. I beleive the specification says min 350 kB or so.
I womder if customers of RRC client that use RS-Ba1 have noticed the any shortcomings of the software. I am waiting for my RC-28 and then I can test more.
How is N4PYs software for IC-7600 compared with TRX-manager?
Good weekend Kari
SM0HRP

DF1NP

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2012-12-08, 18:17:30 »
Hi Kari,

Yes you are right, I also suppose low speed is not the reason for the connectionlosses. I observe  accumulating connectionlosses in evening hours. So, as I told, in our clubstation (download 1800 kb/s, up 120 kb/s) the connection is stable all the time. The same connectionlosses I observed by using pc-client and RS-BA1. But all this is not a problem of microbit products! Btw. minimum speed 350 kb/s rated by ICOM is incl. audio.

I dont know about TRX-Manager, but you can compare it by downloading (http://www.n4py.com/) and testing for 10 days.

Willi

K9RDW

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: 2012-12-14, 00:15:36 »
Have the same setup: 7600 and RS-BA1. RRC boxes connected and RS-BA1 is talking to the radio via USB COMM0 port.
Can put the 7600 in xmit but no tx audio is passed. I can then switch to HRD to control the radio and in the xmit mode
tx audio is present and passed. Currently I am setup on LAN not remote. Any thoughts? I really would prefer to use the
RS-BA1 software control and my RC-28 instead of HRD.
Thanks,
Robie   K9RDW

DF1NP

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2012-12-15, 00:04:52 »
Mic Set in RS-BA1 should set to "MIC" not "USB" or "ACC"

Willi