Author Topic: Wifi header installation problem  (Read 5143 times)

W6EIJ

• View Profile
Wifi header installation problem
« on: 2012-12-11, 01:53:04 »
I tried to install the header for the wifi board, but I am unclear about the term "apply much heat to pins 3 & 4 until the pinheader comes in position."  What does that mean? 

Do I heat pins 3 and 4 until I can push pins 3 & 4 through the solder into their respective holes?  If so, I tried that, and could not.  It seems like the black plastic webbing that holds the pins would melt.   

BTW, I have a 14 pin model.  All the other pins easily go into and though their respective holes.  So if I leave pins 3 & 4 just touching the solder pad for their respective holes, the top of the pins (where the wifi board plugs in) will not level, because all the other pins go through the holes, making them lower than pins 3 & 4 by the thickness of the circuit board. 

W6EIJ

• View Profile
Re: Wifi header installation problem
« Reply #1 on: 2012-12-12, 02:12:55 »
The header now is installed, and the wifi works.  I used a dremel tool and and 1/64 ball-end router and drilled out the hole.  It worked and seems to work fine.

Jan (Microbit)

• Software Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2012-12-12, 08:05:10 »
 :)
Always include type of hard/software and version when asking for support.

W6EIJ

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2013-03-24, 20:06:47 »
I still however, have the continuing problem of having the wifi board loosen every so slightly, so the unit is inoperable, even with a cat cable.  I took my remoterig out of town last weekend, and just the jossling of the luggage on the plane was enough to loosen the board.  I have thought about gluing a sponge to the board, so it would press between the board and the inside of the top cover.  Tom 

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2013-03-25, 12:04:07 »
Hi I have no reports from others that the board is not kept in place, and I have travelled by my own without trouble, but I think it's sounds like a good idea to secure it as you describe.

73 de mike