Author Topic: RRC Setup problems - no usb connect  (Read 7743 times)

M1EMB

• View Profile
    • Email
RRC Setup problems - no usb connect
« on: 2012-12-15, 14:32:37 »
Hi All

Hit a roadblock on my new 1258's that arrived yesterday, going through the manual step by step and done the straps and jumpers but I am stuck at the Microbit manager setup stage,  first I tried to install the software and it would only load if I said install program only as the virtual com ports version kept throwing up a driver install issue which I tried to instal but it kept going in loops and the message kept appearing and wouldn't let me finish the install, so I choose program only.

Now I plug the units in via USB and the computer (Win7) isn't seeing any attachements via USB...nothing at all.   The software just says Unknown Discconnected and it doesn't change.  Same for both units.  Tried two PC's too inc a laptop.

Can someone please help me here and tell me what I am doing wrong so far?

Thank you

Stuart

M1EMB

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: RRC Setup problems - no usb connect
« Reply #1 on: 2012-12-16, 04:51:40 »
Anyone help please?  Inching to test these out!

Thank you

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2012-12-16, 12:47:32 »
Drop me a mail at dj0qn (at) darc.de and we can arrange a Teamviewer session. Maybe I can
find the problem that way.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2012-12-16, 15:02:14 »
I think it's almost impossible not to get the setup Manager to work. I don't think it's not much else to do than uninstall and install again and answer yes on all questions

73 de mike

M1EMB

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2012-12-16, 15:12:50 »
Thanks Mike, with 12v applied to them and the usb cable connected I have tried it on 4 PC's 3 with windows 7 and 1 XP, when I plug either unit in I don't get anything at all from the PC, no connection on the Manager and the PC doesn't make the normal USB ding dong noise when I plug something in, its like they are invisible.   Ethernet light connects fine when I plug it into a router np, tried plugging the ethernet into the laptop direct to see if it gets an IP and it does but its not a local IP that I can use a WEB Interface to connect to, its got some 169 IP address which I can ping but not connect too.

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2012-12-16, 16:07:22 »
If you have tried on different PC:s it must be something with how you install or some Virus software which differs from the rest of the thousands of users. I cant help you with that. But you do not need the USB setup, the units have the IP 192.168.0.227 and 192.168.0.228 as default and you can change the ip of your PC to be in the same net and then connect to them via the web interface and change the ip settings so it matches your ordinary network.

73 de mike

M1EMB

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2012-12-16, 20:50:06 »
Thank you Mike, ok plugged it in as you suggested, changed IP on PC, changed IP on RR and job done, tested and working great, thank you very much.
Still no USB...but I can live with that.

Stuart

pd0swl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: 2012-12-18, 07:54:40 »
Stuart,

When my first RRC set arrived I had exactly the same problem.

When I opened the box I discovered one of the pins of the USB chassis had " missed" its hole on the PCB. It was apparently slightly bent during manufacturing. These pins are quite fragile.

I repaired it myself and USB was there.

May be something to look at.

Paul
PD0PSB

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: 2012-12-18, 08:23:12 »
After USB support was introduced in the software, USB is tested in production so if it passed the test the pin must have been in contact at least when tested. I do not think it's the case this time as he can not contact both units, it must be a PC issue.

73 de mike

n4ib

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: 2013-03-31, 01:51:07 »
I had the same problem with mine - drove me crazy for hours.  Then I accidently leaned on the USB cable, bending it over a little and I saw the installation box suddenly pop up on my PC screen.  Turns out the cable that came with the RRC was bad.  I replaced it and everthing is working fine.