Author Topic: Icom 706MkIIG has no audio out at panel  (Read 7562 times)

rockyjones

• View Profile
    • Email
Icom 706MkIIG has no audio out at panel
« on: 2012-12-17, 05:09:06 »
I have a strange thing happening.  I just got an IC-706, made up the cables, hooked it up to my RRC-1258 MKII boxes as per the instructions, pushed power on on the 706 panel and I have no audio coming from the panel UNLESS I put an audio cable from the back of the IC-706 transmitter unit and into the speaker jack of the "radio" RemoteRig box.  Then all works fine.  Other than the lack of audio, everything works perfectly!

This appears to be a RemoteRig problem.  If I put the two cables I made together with a 2xRJ45 connector to connect the panel with the radio, I have audio just fine coming out of the panel.

Any ideas or is there something I can check?

Thanks,

Joe W4WT
W4WT

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
Re: Icom 706MkIIG has no audio out at panel
« Reply #1 on: 2012-12-17, 08:57:24 »
Yes the red strap for the speaker audio is broken probably in the Radio RRC. Replace it or check it with an ohm meter, it can be broken even if you cannot see it.

/mike

rockyjones

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2012-12-17, 18:41:31 »
No, it's not broken (jumper 3, I assume).  I checked it and all the rest of the jumpers) and it was good.  I decided to replace it anyway but still no audio from panel unless I plug in the speaker cable.

Additional info:  If I do not have the speaker cable hooked up, I hear hum from the panel.  When I first turn on the 706, the meter scale is pegged out and I have to slightly rotate the RF gain knob to clear that.  Once that clears, if I turn the volume knob, I then hear sound from the 706 transmitter body speaker.  The output of the panel still has a hum and other noises coming out of it.  Once I plug in the speaker cable, the 706 powers up correctly, no hum, and I have clean audio from the panel and do not get the s-meter pegging out on power up.  Hope this helps.

Joe W4WT
« Last Edit: 2012-12-17, 20:41:38 by rockyjones »
W4WT

rockyjones

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2012-12-21, 17:46:37 »
No Ideas?

Joe W4WT
W4WT

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2012-12-21, 19:37:15 »
The speaker jacks and the pin in the strap connector is the same wire (in parallell )so there are only two things which can cause the trouble. Either the red straps or the ICOM cable it self, If any of the screens in the cable is not connected properly it can cause trouble as they all must be there for the remoterig but in a direct connection it can work any way.

/mike

rockyjones

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2012-12-22, 00:04:17 »
I couldn't really find anything that looked bad but I decided to cut the end off and start over.  With a new RJ-45 end soldered on, everything is working as it should now so something weird was going on.

Thanks for your help,

Joe W4WT

« Last Edit: 2012-12-22, 04:07:59 by rockyjones »
W4WT