Author Topic: Selecting WiFi networks  (Read 3629 times)

VK3EQ

• View Profile
    • Email
Selecting WiFi networks
« on: 2012-12-22, 00:09:59 »
Hi All

I would like to be able to nominate a particular WiFi network for connection, without having to delete all the other networks from the WiFi list, and without always going to the strongest network - is this possible, or are there planned changes to the software to allow this to occur

Also, I would like to be able to connect Radio and Control directly by WiFi without the need of a router - I understand there has been some discussion on this topic previously - I only want to go a few hundred meters LOS

Feedback would be appreciated

Rik VK3KAN

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
Re: Selecting WiFi networks
« Reply #1 on: 2012-12-22, 10:42:02 »
Hi

We have not seen the need to connect to a network which is in the list but is not the strongest. I can't promise we will do anything about it in the near future.

The WiFi chip we use do not support ad hoc so it's not possible to connect direct between two units. So as long as we use the same chip it will not be possible, if they do not change the internat function of the chip

73 de mike

VK3EQ

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Selecting WiFi networks
« Reply #2 on: 2012-12-22, 22:59:30 »
Thank you for your reply Mike

I actually have more than one WiFi network running concurrently and I have observered that, according to the RRC, the signal strengths vary, with not always the nominated network being the strongest, hence the reason for my question.

At the moment I turn off all WiFi networks apart from the one I want to use, then make my connection. I normally have two operating, one with access to the internet and one without. In the future I could invisage some other network, not associated with me, causing problems. Hence, I would suggest the design choice of the choosing strongest WiFi signal is worthy of reevaluation.

From my perspective it would be really good to be able to nominate the specific WiFi network, if that is practical in the foreseeable future.

Thank you for you comment on the limitation of the WiFi chip

Rik