Author Topic: Loosening Wifi Board taking down system  (Read 6789 times)

W6EIJ

• View Profile
Loosening Wifi Board taking down system
« on: 2013-01-27, 16:27:30 »
I have the wifi board installed, on an RRC-1258 MkII, V6, and at times I'm unable to connect to the network via cable.  Once again this has happened, motivating this post.  This morning I was unable to turn on the TS-480.  Could not see the remoterig unit in the list of attached devices for my router.  Tried to connect via wifi, same problem.  Of course Microbit software, Net Info tab was blank.  I reset router.  Still nothing.  Finally, I opened the remoterig box, removed and replaced the wifi board.  Everything works, i.e., apparently a loose wifi board affects not only the wifi, but also disables network cable access as well.  This last happened when I was on vacation, and I did not have a wrench to open the remoterig case (when I got home discovered this).  Fortunately, I was able to use the KX3 and Buddipole so it was not a loss.

What happened this morning is suprising, because the remoterig unit always sits on my desk, as opposed to being jostled around in a suitcase.  After the vacation, I thought about perhaps a small piece of sponge or something to keep pressure on the wifi board, but I don't think that would help.  That is because, when I say "loose," that is an assumption - I pressed the board, and it did not seem loose at all.  When I removed and replaced the board, theunit started working, so I assumed it was loose.  If it is loose, it is to such a small degree, maybe thousands of an inch, that in order to help, the board could not move at all.  For now, the remedy is to leave the com port screws loose enough to unscrew by hand.

I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this happen, and if so, any remedy?  Tom

pd0swl

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Loosening Wifi Board taking down system
« Reply #1 on: 2013-02-10, 09:59:08 »
Tom,

Just curious:
-what version RRC is this?
-was the unit in relatively cold temperatures?

Paul
PD0PSB

W6EIJ

• View Profile
Re: Loosening Wifi Board taking down system
« Reply #2 on: 2013-03-17, 10:19:55 »
Hi - I have a version 6, serial number 5148.  The unit was at room temp.