Author Topic: RRC Reboots in K3-TWIN Setup only during SSB TX *** SOLVED ***  (Read 3588 times)

WW2DX (Lee)

• AOL Instant Messenger - ljimber
    • View Profile
Greetings,

I have some very odd behavior with a K3/0 and RRC unit. Both units are new (Within last month) and the RRC was purchased directly from RemoteRig.

K3/0 and RRC have latest firmware versions and match the Station end settings as well.
All settings have been confirmed multiple times and compared to working configurations.
We have swapped internet connections as well as power supplies to the K3/0/RRC.
We have also confirmed all the jumpers in the RRC.

The control K3/0 connects to the station without any problems. The K3/0 is using a Elecraft MH2 microphone. CW works perfectly. When attempting SSB, as soon you key the mic and start to talk the RRC power cycles and the Site K3 reboots. When the Site K3 comes back the connection is restored. This behavior is consistent.

We know this is specific to this particular K3/0/RRC as there are many other "users" connecting to the site without problems.

Another interesting test is, if we pull the PTT IN RCA cable from the K3/0 and use the XMIT button to key the radio and then talk into the mic the radio again resets. Same is true if we pull the MIC/MONO plug out of the K3 and keep the PTT IN connected, just keying the MIC resets the Site K3.

I am beginning to feel that its something with the MIC/AUX cable or something internal to the RRC. We have also confirmed the cables (as best we could visually) on the AUX/MIC cable supplied from Elecraft. Actually, we should test the cables with a meter now that I think of it. We will do this this evening and I will post what we find.

In any event, has anyone seen this before or have any other suggestions to try?

73 Lee
WW2DX

UPDATE - -

The user luckily had another RRC setup with a TS-480. We rewired this RRC for the K3 twin and we have the same exact problem!!

OK this is good, we are fairly confident that its not the RRC. The next thing we are testing is the AUX/MIC cable from Elecraft. Unfortunately the user does not have a multi-meter available so I will overnight a new AUX/MIC cable and test that. The only two items left are the K3/0 and the AUX/MIC cable. Lets hope its the cable.

Update when I have it.

73 Lee
WW2DX

UPDATE 2.19.13

Thanks to the USPO the cable was lost.

The problem has been solved! I am not happy about why this happens but at the very least we understand the problem.

If the LOCAL K3 or K3/0 VFO is set to a freq on the display OUTSIDE of the ham bands before it connected to the remote site then this causes the above problem!

Hey Elecraft, can you place a "OUT OF BAND" message on the display?

I REALLY hope this helps someone else.

73 Lee
WW2DX
www.RemoteHamRadio.com

« Last Edit: 2013-02-19, 16:47:14 by WW2DX (Lee) »