Author Topic: K3/0 Freezes  (Read 3921 times)

N6EE

• View Profile
    • Email
K3/0 Freezes
« on: 2013-03-11, 01:44:16 »
I'm making progress, but it's two steps forward and one back,,,

I now have the K3/0 controlling the K3 over my LAN with good audio and all functionality (that I have tested so far).

Problem is now that the K3/0 freezes every 4.5 to 5 minutes, then resumes normal behavior after a 30+- second pause.  The red and yellow light on the AUX/MIC port of the RRC-1258 MkII Control come on during the freeze and the red light goes off when it resumes normal behavior.

I suspected the router so I eliminated that variable by connecting both RRC boxes using a crossover ethernet cable. Same behavior.

I then suspected a power supply problem since the former owner used a 12 volt wall wart to power BOTH the RRC box and the K3/0.  Seemed a bit much so I put the K3/0 on my 35 amp supply.  No change - still freezes every 4.5 to 5 minutes and resumes about 30 seconds later.

A possible clue: if I adjust anything on the K3 (the Remote), the K3/0 (the control) freezes for about 30 seconds and resumes normal behavior after about 30 seconds.  And the red AUX light on the control box turns red just like the problem described above.

I'm out of ideas.  Any help appreciated.
Ron N6EE

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
Re: K3/0 Freezes
« Reply #1 on: 2013-03-11, 07:56:17 »
Hi

The only thing which can cause periodic disconnects is if you have setup the ping watchdog to a unreachable IP-address.

The second thing you describe is something I have never heard about, and Im sure it's not a Remoterig issue. Have you upgraded your K3 to the latest firmwares, set them to 38400 baud etc.

You can send me the exported settings (html) if you want me to look over your settings

73 de mike

N6EE

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2013-03-11, 18:18:51 »
Good news Mike -

You suggested the problem right away: ping watchdog to an unreachable IP-address.

I shut off the ping watchdog and the freezing stopped.  This also eliminated the second behavior I mentioned - now if I make any adjustments to the Remote K3 it makes the same change on the Control K3/0 and does not cause the control to freeze for 30 seconds.

I know what pinging is, but I do not know why this ping watchdog is used.  Should I restore it but change the ping IP-address to my router?

Now I'll start working on connection over the Internet.

Thanks again for your rapid and right-on response.  Very much appreciated.
Ron N6EE

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2013-03-11, 18:29:38 »
Great

I don't think the ping watchdog  function is much used. It's a kind of extra security which can be used to reset the RRC if it looses contact with the router. But the RRC never hangs, it's more common that the router hangs up and then it doesn't help anyway.

73 de mike