Author Topic: RRC-1258 MkII supporting Yaesu FT DX 3000D as twin?  (Read 12589 times)

OH6QU

• View Profile
I am just in phase of upgrading my remote radio setup from a single Yaesu FT-1000MP & PC to pair of Yaesu FT DX 3000D. Can I still use "old" RRC-1258 MkII units (serial number 37xx) if I want to configure those new radios for Yaesu twin configuration or do I have to purchase dedicated RRC-1258 MkIIs Yaesu Twin units to do it?

The manual for RRC-1258 MkIIs does not mention support for Yaesu FT DX 3000D in twin configuration. Has RRC-1258 MkIIs units tested with these radios in twin configuration but not mentioned in the user manual?

Tnx in advance,
Jari OH6QU

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
Re: RRC-1258 MkII supporting Yaesu FT DX 3000D as twin?
« Reply #1 on: 2013-03-12, 20:47:16 »
Hi

We have not tested FT-3000 in twin combination. I have no idea if it will work.
All RRC:S can be used for Yaesu twin now

73 de mike

OH6QU

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2013-03-12, 20:56:02 »
Thanks for the prompt reply Mikael! I'll test the pair of Yaesu FT DX 3000D with RRC-1258 MkII in twin configuration as soon as I get the radios (within 2 weeks I guess). I'll post the results to the forum.

Jari OH6QU

OH6QU

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2013-04-27, 17:41:13 »
I have now tested Yaesu FTdx 3000 radios in twin configuration RRC-1258 MkIIs (firmware version 2.68). The test system was built on 1 Gbit home LAN so that both radios were connected to the same Ethernet switch.

More that 95 % of Yaesu FTdx 3000 functionality works fine in twin configuration. The only problems I found are all related to VFO A/B (both RX and TX) and meter readings in control radio.

After switching the power on with the control radio the remote radio switches on but sets its receiver to “mute” (blinking RX button, no audio). Control radio does not mute RX i.e. radios are in different state until you press VFO A or B in control radio. This is a nasty bug as you do not know why there is no audio received as the control radio does not show that remote radios RX is muted as radios are in out of synchronization.

Normally pressing VFO-A or VFO-B RX moves receiver on that VFO. If receiver is already active on that VFO then pressing the button will mute the receiver. If receiver is muted then pressing the button will unmute the receiver. However with RRCs it works in different way. Pressing the RX button on VFO-A or VFO-B that is not active moves RX there but sets it muted. At this point remote radio and control radio are in out of synch – remote radio is blinking RX button as a indication of muted RX whereas control radio shows steady RX button indicating that receiver is not muted. You have to press two more times in order to unmute RX at remote radio (i.e. mute and then unmute)

Time to time switching between VFO-A and VFO-B sets remote radio mode wrong. E.g. VFO-A and VFO-B both have mode USB but after some switching between VFO-A and VFO-B suddenly sets USB CW mode on remote radio.

In split operation between VFO-A and VFO-B pressing the button TXW moves receiver to transmitters VFO. With RRCs it moves RX correctly but at the same it sets the audio muted. After releasing button also the original receiver VFO RX is muted too.

In split operation between VFO-A and VFO-B TX not moving to other VFO’s frequency. TX Split operation works fine with VFO and TX Clar (however limit is +-9.999 kHz)

No ALC, Power, SWR, Comp, Id, Vdd or S-meter reading moved from remote radio to control radio.

P.S. Any hint what is wrong in my RRC configuration because I have to wait always 60 sec before audio & control starts working. After the Control Radio power on, the Control RRC Status display shows 60 sec RTP/UDP audio status Stalled (e.g. 53 and counting down). Just before the audio and control starts working I also get UDP cmd status Error (0). I have tried to change ports but no success.

Jari Oh6QU

OH6QU

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2013-04-27, 18:36:47 »
One correction to my previous bug report: S-meter works fine in control radio. All TX-related meterings are NOT working in control radio.

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2013-04-27, 23:04:51 »
OK I didn't expect it to work as good as you describe without doing any adaption for the FT-DX 3000.

73 de mike

ON4AOI

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2013-04-28, 10:49:45 »
Jari,
the biggest problem I am aware of is that the FTDX3000 doesn't has 2 VFO's,
its 1 VFO now (single RX) with to stacks of freq. 
There is not even a cmd in the cat anymore that can set the so called VFO-B
the only way to handle correct CAT setting of the FTDX3000 is
SET MODE and (SPLIT FREQ IF NEEDED ) to VFO A
Then VFOA to VFOB
Then set SPLIT ON
Then SET mode and freq to VFO-A
There are not many logging programs that can handle this now
but when you change something on the radio you are stucked again.

Guy ON4AOI

OH6QU

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2013-04-28, 15:06:16 »
You are right Guy - there is only one RX in FTdx 3000 but two VFOs using the same RX (and TX).

After studing the Yaesu FTdx 3000 CAT Operation Reference Book I now see the missing CAT command in FTdx 3000. There is no VFO-B operation mode set, read and answer -command. That creates problems with remote radio setup and ham software. I'll forward the issue to Yaesu representatives to see if it is just matter of firmware update to get that information readable and settable the same way as VFO-A operating mode (command MD). Thanks for the hint!

Jari OH6QU

OH6QU

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2013-04-28, 16:03:04 »
Correction - there is a CAT command for reading VFO-B operating mode but no possibility to set it. Yaesu FTdx 3000 CAT command OI (Opposite Band Information) contains e.g. VFO-B frequency and operating mode. If this is not enough I'll contact Yaesu representatives.

ON4AOI

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: 2013-04-29, 06:19:37 »
Jari, I am/was aware of the reading out but to SET it is more important in this case
they are going the same way like Icom does for many years concerning VFO-B

Guy ON4AOI

OH6QU

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2013-04-29, 12:41:22 »
I just informed Yaesu representatives about the missing possibility to set FTdx 3000 radio's VFO-B operating mode via CAT command. Let's see what is their response - are they able to fix the problem with radio's firmware update to extend CAT command MD (Mode) not only handling VFO-A but both VFOs in the same way as it is implemented in FTdx 5000.

Jari OH6QU

ON4AOI

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: 2013-04-30, 06:15:09 »
That can be done Jari via firmware upgrade but the question are they willing to do it

Guy ON4AOI