Author Topic: SignaLink pass-through using AUX/MIC only?  (Read 3983 times)

k6rgi

• View Profile
    • Email
SignaLink pass-through using AUX/MIC only?
« on: 2016-10-06, 22:50:48 »
A search here doesn't specifically address this issue - I'd like to connect a SignaLink at the control RRC using only the AUX/MIC on both RRCs.  This would be the cleanest cabling option.  There are only four needed signal lines: TX audio, RX audio, ground, and PTT.  These would be passed to 6-pin mini DIN on either a Kenwood TM-V71A or Icom IC-7100 for fldigi and other digital software.  Are there any special configuration or latency issues I should be aware of?
Thanks,
Rob K6RGI

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Re: SignaLink pass-through using AUX/MIC only?
« Reply #1 on: 2016-10-06, 22:59:25 »
Hi Rob,

Actually, this question has been posed on the forum a few times.

The easiest method is to use whatever microphone adapter (RJ45) that you have available for the Signalink
and change the red strappings on the control RRC to match. The radio RRC should just be strapped as it is
for the radio.

Then plug the Signalink cable into the control RRC's MIC/AUX jack and the audio cable into the control RRC's
SP jack and you are in business on any digital mode and AFSK.

Noting special as such, but you may wish to optimize the jitter buffer and jitter delay and set packet size to 20.
Just experiment to see what works best with your internet latency.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

k6rgi

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2016-10-07, 01:02:42 »
Hi Mitch,
Thanks for the information.  To be clear, this pair of RRCs would be used only for the SignaLink connection.  There's a separate pair that is being used for phone operations. 

I'd planned to make my own CAT5 patch from SignaLink to Control RRC and put an RJ45 on the end of a mini DIN pigtail for the radio end.  That would avoid the need to use the speaker and would use the non-attenuated/boosted audio out of the data port.  Any reason that wouldn't work?

Hopefully, latency won't be an issue, as the ethernet link never leaves the building . . .

Rob

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2016-10-07, 01:13:26 »
Hi Rob,

That makes things easier, that's for sure. Sounds like a good plan. There will be basically zero latency
using ethernet. You should even be able to do the quick switching modes without a problem.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX