Author Topic: Winkey via RRC COM-Port  (Read 10105 times)

dj4mz

• View Profile
Winkey via RRC COM-Port
« on: 2013-03-19, 17:54:38 »
Hi everybody,

currently I'm trying to add a Winkey-Interface (WK1, serial) to the remote station. The WK is located at the remote side and I would like to connect it via one of the RRC serial ports (COM2) to my computer on the control side. The K1EL WKSetup-Tool sometimes states "No Echo" or "Echo Mismatch", Win-Test sometimes states that no WK is found and sometimes that it has found a WK but then only sends garbage.

COM-Port currently is set to mode 3, 1200 Baud, 8N2.

Has anyone here succeded in using a Winkey via RRC COM?

vy 73
Simon, DJ4MZ

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
Re: Winkey via RRC COM-Port
« Reply #1 on: 2013-03-19, 18:33:41 »
I don't know about your specific question, but you can use the RRC itself as a Winkeyer. On the serial port settings there is a choice "Winkey". If you select that you can connect your log program to that serial port and the RRC emulate Winkey. I don't think this function is tested so much but I think the main functionality is there

73 de mike

dj4mz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2013-04-08, 18:36:28 »
Hi Mike,

thanks for that information. From the current users manual I can not see the Winkey option. Where can it be found?

Anyway my RRCs are still on FW 2.6 (not 2.60)! As I have had quite some trouble when I tried to update the last time I decided not to update the boxes anymore  :-[ Do you have any experience with updating from an FW version that is that old? What if the update fails and is there a way back?

vy 73
Simon, DJ4MZ

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2013-04-08, 19:00:05 »
There is no risk of fail when updating, I can't remember that we have not got a single unit for repair because of that.   When updating from a very old version more  it's important to check the setting, We try to make old settings not to change but there can be new settings which need to be set. If the impossible anyway would happen it's possible to load new sofware from the serialport via X-modem or direct in to the CPU at our workshop.

73 de mike

dj4mz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2013-04-14, 19:41:14 »
Hi Mike,

today I went to the remote station and updated the RRC to the current firmware V2.68. During the update process I noticed some interesting things but I will start a new thread on that as it is not related to the initial question about Winkey.

For Winkey support. Yes I now can find the selection Winkey for the serial ports. I selected it for COM2 and started my Log Program (Win-Test). Win-Test notifies me that it found a Winkey23 on the selected port. So far so good.

First of all it looks like there is only a subset of commands implemented (yet), e.g. changing the speed via software commands is not possible and speed changes via the speed pot of the RRC are not echoed back to the software. But that is not a real problem. Main "problem" for now is, that it looks like the RRC inserts some space between the characters, i.e. instead of sending "CQ de DJ4MZ" it sends "C Q d e D J 4 M Z". I also tried Logger32 instead of Win-Test but it is the same.

During my experiments I noticed that it is impossible to change the serial settings for the Winkey port in the RRC. You can select all values but after saving and restarting the RRC it comes back with 1200Bd8N1. Winkey by default uses 1200Bd8N2! Changing to 1200Bd8N1 in Win-Test seems to decrease the length of the additional space, but I'm not sure.

I would be happy if at least the "additional space problem" could be solved in on of the next FW releases. If you need any other input from my side, additional tests etc. just let me know!

vy 73
Simon, DJ4MZ

dj4mz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2013-04-15, 19:22:22 »
Hi Mike,

just did some more debugging and I think I found the reason for the additional delay inbetween the characters sent.

Winkey echos back the characters it sends. Win-Test as well as Logger32 wait for the echo of each single character before sending the next one. My original K1EL Winkey takes about 28ms to echo back a single character, the "Winkey emulation" in the RRC takes about 380ms. I hope that helps when looking into that problem.

vy 73
Simon, DJ4MZ

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2013-04-16, 16:08:39 »
Hi

We have checked this up. We do the same eg. send the respons when the character is sent. But when it's sent from the Radio RRC, That means that the internet latency will be added twice. I realize that the function can not be used over the Internet at least at high speeds and longer latencys. We will check if we can do some local acknowledge based on the speed setting independent of when the character is really sent. I cant say when it will be done. Thank you for testing.

73 de mike

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: 2013-04-19, 21:28:03 »
We have now improved the Winkey emulation in firmware V2.71
- The characters are acknowledged localy
- The same local sidetone as for the paddle is now working.
- Better interaction between paddle and the log program.
- CW speed set with the pot on the front of the RRC is reported to the log program.
- The "extra" USB port which is also used for RTTY can be use for Winkey.

Try it !

73 de mike
« Last Edit: 2013-04-20, 00:14:59 by sm2o »

dj4mz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2013-04-19, 23:55:31 »
Hi Mike,

new version works fine for me now! Thanks.  :D

vy 73
Simon, DJ4MZ

iz8eyp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: 2016-09-11, 20:15:55 »
Hello everyone, I was reading your post and it was so interesting. The point is here: I use the ic 7100 with remoterig successfully. I connected the CI-V to my icom and the com2 is working so far so good, I pass the control from the rs232 to the usb and with n1mm the radio is connected so I can control it the winkey is working too but if I send some call the audio work but no power out! The power goes out only with the key but not with the N1MM even is the connection seams to work perfect.

Any suggestion please ? 73s