Author Topic: System frezzing with TS-480  (Read 8029 times)

EA1AF

• View Profile
    • Email
System frezzing with TS-480
« on: 2013-03-19, 20:44:10 »
Hello to all,

I am using, Kenwood TS-480 with COM1 configure for Expert 1K-FA and COM2 for ERC rotator.

I am suffering in receiving mode after some minutes without activity in the system, normally more than 10 minutes, the system is freezing.

I can hear and receive the sound, but the buttons and dials in TS480 do not respond, the Expert also switch off the connection, (I can see in the Expert windows software).

The only solution is switch off and on again.

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.

EA1AF - David

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
Re: System frezzing with TS-480
« Reply #1 on: 2013-03-19, 23:34:06 »
This is not a common problem, To me it looks like the port handling the control data is blocked in a router of some reason. When this happen you can look at the status page in both units and see what it says about "UDP cmd status". Normally it should show OK ( 40-45).

73 de mike

EA1AF

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2013-03-22, 00:33:09 »
Hello Mike,

I got this:

Control panel   ON
Radio   ON
Connection status   Faulty(See below)
SIP status   Connected/transfering
Last SIP error   None
RTP status   Excellent(60)
UDP cmd status   Error(0)

The UDP cmd status has an error.

I will try to see what´s happen in the router.

EA1AF - David

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2013-03-22, 08:49:09 »
Hi

Yes you got exactly the result I expected, Something is blocking your command port, probably one of the routers.

73 de micke

OH2FT

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2013-03-26, 06:24:56 »
When long time RX only, the serial transmission to a microham stack switch gets stuck. it helps if I push ptt
for a second every 10 minutes or so. I assume my 3G  connection drops some ports to stand by if they are not used.

Joni OH2FT

oz1rh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2013-04-02, 00:23:03 »
Professional firewalls usually has an 'Idle timeout' parameter for each firewall rule, in this case each port in use. Default may be 24 H but an Internetprovider can set it lower, perhaps 2-10 minutes. 'Idle timeout' means that the firewall closes connection trough the port if there has been no traffic for longer time than the timeout. This can be overcome by sending a 'keep alive packet' on that port, that is a packet that does nothing at the other end, but it let the firewall know the port is in use.

I suggest a firmware change so the RemoteRig boxes sends a 'keep alive packet' once a minute on each configured ports.

73, Palle, OZ1RH.

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2013-04-02, 10:30:00 »
Hi it's already there, keep alive are sent

SIP every 30 sec
RTP every 1 sec
CMD every 30 sec

73 de mike

oz1rh

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2013-04-02, 12:55:57 »
Tnx, you RemoteRig folks know what you are doing! With those keep alive packet no ports of the internet connection should be dropped due to inactivity.

OH2FT wrote:
When long time RX only, the serial transmission to a microham stack switch gets stuck. it helps if I push ptt
for a second every 10 minutes or so.

Seems OH2FT has a Microham from http://microham.com/ Could the problem be with the Microham?

73, Palle, OZ1RH.

OH2FT

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2013-04-02, 17:02:57 »
It's not a Microham issue, it happens simultaniously with the cat serial port (HRD in my case). Both get back active, once I press
PTT for a second. And at the same time I have been listening to the rx steam, without any issues at all.
I think my 3G provider is eager to drop the CMD port to worse latency, or stand by. It's not really a problem, more like a feature that I have learned to live with. It sounded like the issue EA1AF was having. It doesn't re-active the serial ports unless PTT is pressed first.

I'm running RRC SW 2.60, maybe the keep alives are different in the newer ones.

EA1AF

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: 2013-04-10, 01:05:11 »
Hello Again,

I will explain what I did with this problem until now.

- Just I tested a new router (TP-link) and has the same problem.
- I tested press PTT, one time, to test same procedure of OH2FT and the system (TS-480) comes from fezzing, and works perfect.
- In the Expert, if I press ON, in the software, the expert data screen comes instantly. Different when you switch ON the amplifier that it takes time to start.
-This problem exists when you are using 3G connection in one side of the system. Is not a problem of 3G signal, I have full signal.
- This problem is more significant when I use USB - RS232 converters, that when I use RS232 direct ports.
- Ratio is 10-15 minutes, but sometimes takes more time ( I measured 30 and 45 minutes in 2 cases)

EA1AF - David