Author Topic: Writelog and FSK  (Read 4859 times)

N6EE

• View Profile
    • Email
Writelog and FSK
« on: 2013-03-20, 01:48:59 »
I am trying to use Writelog with MMTTY to operate FSK RTTY.  I have the K3/0 Control, K3 Remote, notebook computer connected via hardware COM 5 to Control RRC COM1 and the RRC 1258 MkIIs units working fine on SSB and CW. 

I also have MMTTY standalone working OK with the following settings:
TX-->PTT&FSK -COM9 (which is my COMFSK port as seen in Win 7 Device Manager)
Radio Command -->PORT = NONE, DTR/RTS PTT checked
When I click TX on MMTTY's Main Panel, the K3 transmits FSK generated RTTY AOK. 
when I click TXOFF, the K3 returns to receive as expected.

So far,so good.

When I open the RTTY window in Writelog and select
MMTTY as the TU Type,
COM 9 (recall this is COMFSK) under 'Port',
and, under Setup-->Ports, COM 5 (a hardware COM port out of my laptop) as the Elecraft K3 port,

I get the radio frequency and mode displayed OK, but the PTT and FSK keying are both flaky.  By that I mean sometimes I can key the transmitter, sometimes not.  Usually it keys the TX on but won't return to Receive.  The typed text might send a few characters OK, then stop and send a steady carrier and then, after 10 or 15 seconds (sometimes) it continues sending what is in the typing ahead buffer.  I can almost never get the radio to return to Receive by typing Alt-K (keyboard typing on/off toggle) and I have to hit ESC -several times.   Sometimes I have to close the RTTY window completely to return to Receive mode. And a couple of times I had to actually power down the K3/0 and K3 to get out of transmit.

I suspected RFI, but, recall, everything works fine with MMTTY standalone.  And, I turned the output power down to less than a watt and no change in behavior.  So I don't think this is an RFI problem.

Has anyone ever gotten Writelog to work FSK RTTY with the K3/0, K3 and Remote Rig? I'd very much appreciate hearing from anyone who has.  I suspect the problem is in the COM1 and COM2 port settings in the CONTROL RRC Web Server settings, but I've tried just about everything to no avail.  Or, possibly the problem is some combination of Writelog settings that I just haven't got right.

I can really use some help.  Thanks and 73,
Ron N6EE

W1UE

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Writelog and FSK
« Reply #1 on: 2013-03-20, 11:39:34 »
I'm not a WL guru, but I've had good success with N1MM Logger, and have it working well in RTTY with the RR modules.  For some ideas that you may find work in WL, read my posting under "Hardware, Cabling, and Installations", last reply on 2013-01-05.  You may find something there that will work in WL.

Dennis W1UE

N6EE

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Writelog and FSK
« Reply #2 on: 2013-03-20, 15:50:00 »
Actually, it was your posting that helped me get MMTTY working. Unfortunately, it is when I try to run Writelog (or DXLabs WinWarbler) with MMTTY that the problem occurs.

Thank you for that earlier posting - it really did help.
Ron N6EE