Author Topic: Icom 706 CT-17 HRD  (Read 3994 times)

wd8aww

• View Profile
Icom 706 CT-17 HRD
« on: 2013-03-29, 04:24:39 »
I was trying to demonstrate Com 1 transparent use by configuring the Cntrl USB to be Com 1, then attaching an ICOM CT-17 level converter on the Radio COM 1 port using Serial Settings  Mode 2 for both ends, while keeping the Radio configuration for ICOM 706 and having the radio remote working at the same time. 

Try as I might, despite matching baud rates, etc, I was unable to get it to work.

I switched the USB to be Com 2, used the Com2 port on the radio end to the CT-17, and it worked fine through HRD and the remote simultaneously.

I'll leave it be since it works but the manual suggests Com 1 should work fine but it didn't. I did have to use a gender changer on the radio end for Com 1 due to the DB9 cables I had but they are straight cables, no crossover to my knowledge.  So I guess my advice is just use Com 2.

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
Re: Icom 706 CT-17 HRD
« Reply #1 on: 2013-03-29, 09:07:21 »
You can use both serial ports. But the connectors in the Radio-RRC is not of same type and the pinning is different. A gender change will not make them equal as pin 2 and 3 are  shifted, please check the manual.

/mike