Author Topic: Can connect but at times, no TX audio or PO  (Read 4882 times)

W4AFK

• View Profile
    • Email
Can connect but at times, no TX audio or PO
« on: 2013-03-30, 18:20:18 »
Please have a look at the diagram on www.qrz.com (W4AFK, bottom of the page)

- TS-480SAT located at remote site w/RR radio
- Control head at my home w/RR Control
- Connection via cable modem... all works fine (most of the time)

The problem: There are times when I can connect to the radio, manage it and receive audio. However, when I go to TX, there is no power output and no TX audio. In most cases, the problems goes away by itself but it could take hours or minutes.

What I have done so far:
- Power cycled the RR control box
- Power cycled the router and cable modem

When I check the status of the RR device, I see no errors (SIP, etc.) and everything matches the screen dumps I made when I configured the system (always good to be able to compare).

Any ideas on diagnosing the problem would be very helpful.
« Last Edit: 2013-03-30, 18:21:59 by W4AFK »

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
Re: Can connect but at times, no TX audio or PO
« Reply #1 on: 2013-03-30, 19:23:31 »
Hi

If RTP status is OK but you have no audio, it's probably a cable/strapping issue. Check the red straps with a ohm meter to be sure that they are not broken inside the insulation

73 de mike

W4AFK

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2013-03-30, 20:09:03 »
Nope... I had to have someone power-cycle the RR/Radio (remote radio site) and the TX-audio returned.

================================================

Question 1: Is there a way to remote-retart the RR/Radio box?

As you can see on QRZ.COM (W4AFK, bottom of the page), my system goes through routers, cable modems and switches. Now when it works, RR does a fantastic job ;-) However, when this occurs, I need to have someone power-cycle the RR/Radio.

I tried to connect http://68.xxx.xxx.xxx:11000 with no success. I was hoping that I would be able to get to the web interface of the RR/Radio and force a reboot.

Question 2: Everything is running so I flashed the new update to RR/Base device. As I don't seem to be able to access the RR/Radio device, I am no longer able to turn the system off. When I turn off the radio via the TS-480SAT RCU, the systems goes OFF then about 2 seconds later, it comes back ON.

I am now headed to the remote base to flash the current f/w to that device too. Is there a way I can perform this task remotely?

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2013-03-30, 20:58:48 »
Hi

Yes there is a restart link on the left of the webpage.

The normal way of updating the remote RRC is via the webinterface

I looks to me that you have not configured your router so you can access the Radio-RRC over internet. You need to forward port 80 to the ip of the Radio-RRC.

port 11000 is normally the audioport and not be accessed from the web browser.

If the radio turns on automatically you have probably set "Auto connect" to yes by mistake, change it back to No

73 de mike

W4AFK

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2013-03-31, 01:24:22 »
Hi

Yes there is a restart link on the left of the webpage.

The normal way of updating the remote RRC is via the webinterface

I looks to me that you have not configured your router so you can access the Radio-RRC over internet. You need to forward port 80 to the ip of the Radio-RRC.

port 11000 is normally the audioport and not be accessed from the web browser.

If the radio turns on automatically you have probably set "Auto connect" to yes by mistake, change it back to No

73 de mike

Thanks Mike.!

You were right. The "Auto Connect" was set to "yes". The oddity is that it has been like this since day one and the problem of not being able to shut it down only started to occur recently. In any event, it's fixed!

Noted for port 80 (banging my head on the wall ;-) I forgot to configure the router so I remotely setup the virtual server to port forward to 80 and I am now able to access RR/Radio from home.

As for auto-rebooting, I have ordered an IP based remote power switch which will permit me to power on/off the PSU which feeds the TS-480SAT radio and the RR/Radio.

Status as of this moment:
- Remote radio is working (TX, RX & Control)
- RR/Base and RR/Radio have been updated to the current firmware
- I now have access to the remote RR/Radio via the Internet

My "To Do" list:
- IP based AC power controller has been ordered. This will let me remotely manage up to 8 AC power ports via a web browser.

Moral:
- Sometimes you need to have someone to tweak you a bit so you can get the desired results ;-)
« Last Edit: 2013-03-31, 05:13:06 by W4AFK »