Author Topic: IPV6?  (Read 4620 times)

jim miller

• View Profile
IPV6?
« on: 2013-05-22, 17:02:14 »
I'm considering a Webswitch 1216H for remote switching of my ham station at AB3CV. I've never tried to reach inside my home from an external internet location. I do use Skype and Logmein but those are both "call out" applications.

My issue is that my ISP like many others has begun rollout of IPV6 and my home is provisioned with IPV6 exclusively. Note that I never requested such a change but it hasn't been an issue for me and probably for most customers, at least until now.

My question therefore does the DynDNS facility (either local or callout to dyndns.com) handle such issues? I'm somewhat reluctant to buying one without some likelihood of success.

Put another way: what happens if I use the built in ddns facility on the Webswitch with the Microbit DDNS server from my IPV6 address?

Thanks!

Jim Miller
AB3CV
« Last Edit: 2013-05-23, 02:47:13 by jim miller »

Jan (Microbit)

• Software Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: IPV6?
« Reply #1 on: 2013-05-23, 09:06:29 »
Jim,

Since our DDNS service is ipv4 for the time being it will most likely not work if you have ipv6 only. Maybe possible to workaround by using some kind of VPN though.
Always include type of hard/software and version when asking for support.

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
Re: IPV6?
« Reply #2 on: 2013-05-23, 20:59:27 »
They use IPv6 here in Sweden also but I have never heard anybody any where in the world who have problem with it. In some way they  encapsulate IPv6 in IPv4 tunnel or something. Im not a expert on that details but I doubt that you will get any problem today.

73 de mike