Author Topic: CW-keying via USB  (Read 7226 times)

dj4mz

• View Profile
CW-keying via USB
« on: 2010-03-23, 13:35:13 »
Hi there,

I've noticed that there is a new firmware available. CW-keying via USB is listed as a new feature. Unfortunately I can't find any information what that means. I wouldn't update the firmware (I use V2.06) if it isn't really needed.

vy 73, Simon (DJ4MZ)

OH6KVP

• View Profile
Re: CW-keying via USB
« Reply #1 on: 2010-03-24, 11:28:09 »
Hello Simon.
I think new firmware makes virtual comport to you pc. You can use it for keying just normal
comport. I use HRD + DM780 and it works fine... You just have to make RJ45 cable from your
Radio RRC to Radio. Only 2 pins connected and works.
http://www.remoterig.com/schema/img77.jpg. (right side)

You should also change Control RRC IO settings: USB dtr as CW: "yes"
and Radio RRC IO settings outmode: "Keyer"

This is my setup and it works fine. I have only problems with microphone connections with TS-2000.
I can't use any phone modes. If PTT is working, I can hear  burr from microphone.

73 de OH6KVP Sami

LY2IJ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2010-04-16, 15:22:54 »
Hi,

I just received my remotrig and playing with in on table. My LP-remote board works both via COM1 or COM2, just curios
why  COM1 has different gender connector - is it for "reversed" (or "null modem") cable? Not sure what I have after all
adapters.

USB port - I see it can be used for CW and PTT. Where it goes at radio end - to I/O connector??
It would be great to have feature of real USB/COM converter - USB to computer at control end which is
crossconected to one of COM ports at radio end. Then I don't need any extra cable to my K3 - just serial cable.
Elecraft K3 doesn't need any CW or PTT interface - direct cable forks FB.
Other nice feature - combine CW both from internal keyer and computer to the same DTR line. Then CW cable at radio
end is never needed. The same for PTT, just PTT input on control box is not defined.

Or it is already possible?

73 Arunas LY2IJ

dj4mz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010-04-17, 11:52:46 »
Hi Arunas,

I haven't updated my RRC boxes to the last firmare yet and therefore haven't done
any test on the CW-keying via USB feature. To be honest I still haven't understood
completely how everything has to be connected.

From the previous posts and the info on http://www.remoterig.com/en/cw_gen.htm
I think, that you have to connect the CW-input of your rig to the I/O port of the
RRC-radio box instead of connecting it to the PAD-output. Then it should be able to
combine computer generated CW and "hand made" CW. With the new feature it looks
like you don't have to use a CW-interface for connecting the PC to the RRC-control box.
Hopefully the paddle can still be connected to the PAD-input and does not have to be
connected to the I/O port. But this is only a wild guess! Can anyone else verify this?

Concerning your "feature request" of a real USB/COM converter: that would really be
a great feature! No need for external USB/COM converters on the control side. But I
can imagine that that isn't to easy to implement, as you have to decide if the "remote"
COM-port is available at the real or at the virtual COM-port at the control side.

Piita

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2011-03-24, 16:12:24 »
The CW keying issue you are discussing here for the old version RemoteRig control units or the new MkII's?

Best regards
Peter
OX3XR

dj4mz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2011-03-24, 17:26:19 »
Hi Peter,

the the discussion was related to the MKIIs (Mono-Version).

vy 73
Simon, DJ4MZ