Author Topic: Bugs in Network Settings  (Read 5033 times)

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Bugs in Network Settings
« on: 2013-05-22, 11:34:54 »
I have some new RRC's that I need to configure, but have run into some bugs that
I have not experienced before. I am not sure if these are FW related, or if I really
never had this situation before in all the RRC's I have installed.

This is for a control RRC using FW 2.72 and Setup Manager 1.20.

1) I imported a .bin file that had a fixed IP number. Instead of using the Default
profile, I changed to another profile before importing. Using Setup Manager, I changed
this to DHCP. However, it never changes that profile, only Default. I found that first
importing to the Default profile and then changing to DHCP works. However, the
one I already imported in another profile can not be changed and this profile is now "lost".

2) I tried a hardware reset to start over again, but all this does is to clean the Default profile.
All the others are untouched by the hardware rest. I tried holding the button down many times
for several periods, even more than a minute. I tried disconnecting the USB cable first and even
the power before doing the reset. It just does not work.

3) What is also strange is that the reset changes the default IP to fixed for all profiles. When I
use Setup Manager to change the Default profile to DHCP, it leaves the others as fixed. However,
Setup Manager shows these profiles as DHCP on the "Setup" tab. Moving to the "Net Info" tab,
it shows the IP address as fixed.

Bottom line is that this new RRC is essentially "bricked". I will try later to set another PC to
the RRC's default IP subnet and see if I can fix it that way, but this really needs to be fixed.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

« Last Edit: 2013-05-22, 16:39:48 by dj0qn »

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Re: Bugs in Network Settings
« Reply #1 on: 2013-05-22, 18:53:37 »
I fixed the RRC by connecting to a PC in the 192.168.0.XX subnet and manually changed each
profile to use DHCP.

Bottom line: Setup Manager indicates the status wrong on the Setup/Get From Device button with
the correct status shown on the Net Info tab. Setup Manager can not change other profiles to DHCP.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

Jan (Microbit)

• Software Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2013-05-23, 10:13:49 »
Mitch,

What you have seen is how it is designed by purpose, at least partly. Setup Manager only works against the default profile when using the Setup IP address etc feature. In fact when you save the setup it will change the profile to default. The reason behind that is that the Setup Manager is to be considered something one uses to get network contact with the unit and from there continue the setup. At least this is what it was from the beginning. Since then the change Profile feature has been added and then this behavior is not that logical anymore. Furthermore what isn't good is that the Setup Manager does not inform about how it works and so you were fooled into thinking it was possible to do it the way you did. So what you see on the Setup tab is always the default profiles data + currently active profile and what you see on the Net Info tab is the currently active profile's IP setup.

As for the hold-the-reset-button in order to set defaults there is also a similar thinking behind it only affecting the default profile, i.e it would help you getting in contact with a "dead" unit and then from there setup the other profiles etc. One might think otherwise too and add them to the "defaulting".

« Last Edit: 2013-05-23, 11:01:59 by Jan (Microbit) »
Always include type of hard/software and version when asking for support.

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2013-05-23, 10:22:17 »
Hi Jan,

So this is a feature, and not a bug.  ;D

You confirmed everything I experienced in my attempts, so at least now I know for the next time.
As you say, adding the ability to change the active profile from Setup Manager totally confuses the
user.

So would there be plans to change this behavior?

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

Jan (Microbit)

• Software Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2013-05-23, 11:05:30 »
What would be easy as a first step is to change Setup Manager so that it warns/inhibits the things you did. As for the possibility to actually work against different profiles one would have to think it over not only once in order to not introduce some new "feature"  ;)
Always include type of hard/software and version when asking for support.