Author Topic: RRC Micro - no audio  (Read 9051 times)

Pedro

• View Profile
    • Email
RRC Micro - no audio
« on: 2013-06-11, 13:03:49 »
Hi,

just facing a problem with RRC Micro when using vodafone wireless pen broadband connection.

All was working fine until a few days ago. Now when connection is made I get connected with remote RRC  but audio packets come to slow ...the green bar on the RRC Micro software ( v 1.6.6.0) rise slow and then falls  quicly resulting in short period of audio to no audio.

Already tried diferent port setting for SIP, Command and Audio ports (now settings  are 13000, 12000, 11000 respectively).

At the biggining I thougt it was a port problem or RRC Micro issue but the "slow to no audio" problem just disapear if I change the network to my local wifi network. RRC Micro with same setting works just fine.

Wonder what may be causing this problem since Vodafone wireless connection seems to be quite good and speed ok when surfing over the internet. Any chance of vodafone network made changes in their settings resulting in blocking ports? or this may be a configuration problem at my side? firewall disabled for test and no effect on this issue.

Thanks
Pedro
ct1eky

roland

Re: RRC Micro - no audio
« Reply #1 on: 2013-06-11, 16:18:26 »
Changing these values might help.

Rx Jitter buffer Size can be changed. ( You can read about the Jitter buffer settings in the RRC-1258… Users manual).
Rx Jitter buffer Delay can be changed. ( You can read about the Jitter buffer settings in the RRC-1258… Users manual).

Packet size can be selected, 20 or 40 (default is 40). If you have a new high speed PC 20 ms is usable otherwise 40 ms must be used. ( 40 ms gives longer latency but more robust audio)

Buffer multiplier can be selected here. When using Windows XP it can be set to 1. For Vista or Win7 it must almost always be set to 2. ( 2 gives longer latency but the received audio will be less sensitive for other programs CPU usage).

Pedro

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2013-06-11, 23:43:37 »
Hi Roland,

I've tried to change values (increasing) Rx Jitter buffer Size and Delay with no success. RTP says conneted and Green bar stars to show a slowly rise and then falls quickly to zero, then stars to rise again.  Also tried buffer multiplier from 2 to 4 and packet size always default 40ms.

If I change the network from wirelles vodafone mobile to local wifi network the problem desapear.

Pedro

Pedro

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2013-07-05, 17:09:30 »
Hi Roland,

still have the problem when I try to connect RRC-micro client with any mobile device in my laptop.

When I connet the RRC-micro I get the green light - RTP, then RRC green ligh flashes but then I usualy get "timeout" mesage. 

I´ve checked the RRC status page while I'm getting conneted and it shows SIP status: "Connected/transfering" and "RTP status: Excellent(60)" and "UDP cmd status: Error(0)"....a few seconds after, when I get the "timeout" msg on the RCC-micro the RRC status page says "Connection status:   Disconnected"

The funny thing is when I use my home wireless network all works ok.

Any ideia of what's hapening?

Thanks
Pedro

Jan (Microbit)

• Software Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2013-08-15, 10:37:08 »
Did you find a fix for your problem?
Always include type of hard/software and version when asking for support.

Pedro

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2013-08-16, 21:00:32 »
Hi Roland,

not yet    :(

I've RRC Micro client working fine trought Ethernets networks but still not ok when I use 3g connection.

Attached some screen shots when I use 3g connection.

I've no any idea why this hapenning when I use 3g. Connection speed is not a problem for sure!

Pedro

roland

« Reply #6 on: 2013-08-19, 10:48:16 »
Here is a theory on what can cause this.

In 3G its often so that although data speed is fast, the data comes in bursts with a delay between those bursts.
That is normally not any problem when surfing, listen to music etc etc because the pc-buffering can handle that.
In the case with audio over RTP (which is the case here) the buffers are very small and has to be to avoid delays.
This means that when such a burst of RTP data comes the bar goes up, but then goes down to 0 while waiting for
next burst for RTP data. In the LAN there is no such burst of data, it all goes as continuously stream of data packets.
The timing of these bursts  may differ between different 3G nets.

Another possibility is that your radio software in the PC (Hamradio or whatever you use) is not started or has failed
to connect.

If you make a connection, the UDP command status should be OK at first and then if no data comes from the PC-Radio software
it will start to count down. When it goes down to 0 you will be disconnected. Is that the case here?

« Last Edit: 2013-08-19, 10:57:52 by Roland (Microbit) »

Pedro

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: 2013-08-21, 23:49:26 »
Hi Roland,

that's a theory but I'm not sure of it because:
- until 2 or 3 months ago, before I made some upgrades (client and firmware) 3G connection was not a problem and used to be very effective even while mobile/driving!
- tried to install previous versions but problem still on.
- tried to install RRC Micro PC client in diferent computers using 3g "connect pen" but problem    subsists.
- lately I tried to use a 3G "wifi router" instead of the normal 3g "connect pen" (same 3g internet provider) and the odd thing was that I could get a steady connection but only with one of the remote sites...the other one still not ok with green bar moving up and down with audio bursts.

In all of these atemps I only use RRC Micro client to get the remote site audio because everything else I use to manage via remote computer (logmein/teamviewer).

So still diging with this issue hihi

Pedro