Author Topic: Can you do Both TS-480S  (Read 5986 times)

wr7agt

• View Profile
    • Mac Pass Repeater Group
Can you do Both TS-480S
« on: 2013-07-08, 05:24:48 »
Seems like a simple question, but we now have a remote base that no longer works because of our attempt. Hopefully the 2 hour drive to kill power to the radio will "reset" the issue.

The question, can you run a remote rig connected TS-480 from both the control side box and control head and also from the computer and dongle with the Com Port 1 enabled? Not at the same time, but can I use my remote rig and control head at home, which has worked great mind you, as well as a computer program HRD, etc. and the remoterig software and dongle, depending on my location and need, or can it only be setup for one or the other?

Thanks,

Tom

PS, the problem both myself and another TS480 Control Head using type on the same system, after attempting the Com Port 1 activation for a 3rd party with software and dongle is that after putting everything back the way it was, both of us can no longer connect to the radio. The power button on the control head makes the familiar pop, and we do in fact connect to the remote side box (as indicated via the web software connection) with all good readings, but neither control head lights up or controls anything, no audio as well?? Any ideas?

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
Re: Can you do Both TS-480S
« Reply #1 on: 2013-07-08, 11:18:56 »
Hi

You only have to set up com2 to mode 4 with the right baudrate settings in the Radio-RRC nothing else need to be changed, You also need to connect a CAT cable from COM2 to the TS-480 cat port. You can alternate between control panel and RRC-Micro but not connect them at the same time. The Radio RRC never hangs up, if you cannot reach it it's because of something else probably the router or modem.

73 de mike

wr7agt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2013-07-09, 02:21:38 »
Let me explain the problem better. Before our buddy went up and hooked up the serial cable, there were two of us using the remote base with no problems. We both have the TS480 control head and a control side box that we used. After attempting, with no luck to get the micro software system of the third guys to work, without good results, we went back through the webserver and reset the Comm 1 and Comm 2 ports to Inactive, all other parameters are the same as always, and in theory, so is everything else.

But, now when either one of us try to connect with our control heads, we both get the same issue. We hear the little pop as though the control head is about to light up and work, but nothing happens, the control head stays blank. But, if we go back into the radio RRC via the webserver, which still works, the Status page shows that we are in fact connected, our IP address displayed, no faults and "Excellent" displayed. So we are getting through to the Radio RRC, seemingly, we just don't seem to be able to get our remote side Heads to respond anymore, even though it appears that we are connecting to the radio RRC, and as mentioned, we are able to access the RRC through it's webserver just fine. Both of us with two different systems on two different ISPs are getting the same result.

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2013-07-09, 21:40:55 »
I am not sure what you did wrong, but the only thing that you should have changed
when you added the serial cable for the RRC PC Client is changing COM2 to mode-4.
That allows using the PC Client as an alternative to a remote head.

I suspect that you also changed COM0 as well. This must be left as it was before, since
it defines the communication between the radio and head. Double-check to make sure
that COM0 is still in 57600 baud and the radio is set to mode-5.

If this was still correct, then you have some other problem. I can take a look at it when I
get a chance if you wish, but maybe this helped.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

wr7agt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2013-07-10, 03:57:16 »
We powered off the Cisco router, the RRC box, and the TS-480. We then powered everything back on in the same sequence waiting for the router to completely start, then the RRC and waited, then the radio. When all done, the remotes and their control heads began working fine again. We also now have Comm 2 setup and the software and dongle is working.

The radio RRC did have a blinking red light when we arrived. We had tried the reset device function from the webserver several times but know go. In any case, its back running.

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2013-07-10, 05:37:02 »
Glad to hear that you got it working again, that would also explain the problem. It was
a coincidence that the radio RRC lost its internet connection when you made the change.

I suggest three improvements to the setup to prevent having to go to the site to restart
things in the future:

1) Make sure that you can get into your router from outside (switch on external admin and
set a password). This won't help if it completely loses its internet connection, but at least you
can restart it or see if a device is no longer on the network.

2) Set the watchdog function in the RRC under the "ping settings" menu to have it automatically
restart if it no longer reaches the internet.

3) Install an IP power strip to be able to turn the power off to the devices and restart them
manually.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX