Author Topic: What combination do you recommend from our spares?  (Read 4176 times)

NZ5E

• View Profile
I was contacted about configuring an HF remote station for a ham that went through deep brain surgery for Parkinsons and has 2 leads from his brain that are causing discomfort around high HF RF fields.  The ham that contacted me wants to rig up an HF remote station at his home for the ham with Parkinsons to operate remotely.

The ham that contacted me has a Flex 3000, Icom 7000, and Yaesu 857D, any one of which he would be willing to use as the remoted rig at his house connected to one of his existing HF antennas.  He also has 10Mbit/1Mbit internet.

I have an extra RRC-1258 MkII, S/N 2560, radio box and a RRC-Micro/PC-Client that I would be willing to donate to the effort.

The ham with Parkinsons has 10Mbit/1Mbit internet and a computer.

What combination of existing equipment do you recommend to get the remote station up and going quickly?  The other ham and I would also entertain purchasing other equipment, especially since it would be much simpler for the ham with Parkinsons to operate a radio with a remoted head.

Thanks in advance,

Terry, NZ5E

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Re: What combination do you recommend from our spares?
« Reply #1 on: 2013-07-30, 21:29:07 »
Hi Terry,

I assume that he has a remote QTH with antenna? That would be the most important thing.

The rest can be the RRC set and his FT-857, since that is the only one on your list with a head
that can be remoted.

Otherwise, I am not sure if I understood if you are asking anything more specific.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

NZ5E

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2013-07-31, 03:51:51 »
Mitch,

The ham that contacted me will be setting up the remote station at his own QTH for the ham with Parkinsons to operate remotely.  Therefore, the ham with Parkinsons will be located several miles across town from the source of RF.

Currently, I only have the one extra RRC-1258 radio box and the RRC-Micro, that I can readily donate to this effort.  I do not have an extra control box to enable remoting the head of the 857D.  What radio of the 3 listed would you choose to be used with the one radio box and the RRC-Micro?  We would entertain purchasing a control box, if the RRC-Micro is not a recommended configuration with any of the radios listed.

Terry, NZ5E
« Last Edit: 2013-07-31, 03:53:29 by NZ5E »

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2013-07-31, 09:02:33 »
Terry,

I understood that using a head would be much easier for him, so that left only
the FT-857 as an option. I would try to find a used set or someone that can donate
a control RRC to the effort if possible. In the meantime, I would set the FT-857 up
as the remote rig and use the PC Client until a control RRC becomes available.

The PC Client doesn't really "care" what is used on the radio end, that is the user's
preference. In this case, I would use the FT-857 in this configuration until an RRC
is located, so that it will be easy to move to the other solution at a later date.

Mitch Dj0QN / K7DX