Author Topic: Documentation Conflict Microbit vs. Elecraft on type of serial cable  (Read 5382 times)

n6xi

• View Profile
    • Email
The Elecraft K3 Remote documentation calls for a null modem cable from the "local" (control) K3 to its RemoteRig RRC. The microbit documentation calls for a standard RS232 cable in this position. Which is correct?

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
I just looked at the Microbit manual and it is also showing a null modem cable (page 206).

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
Hi it's very dangerous to call something a null modem cable as there are at least 5 different configurations called null modem so I have removed "null modem" from all documents. Im sure our drawing is correct.

73 de mike
« Last Edit: 2013-08-21, 09:35:12 by sm2o »

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Hi Mike,

I meant that pins 2 & 3 are crossed, which is the case in this cable.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

n6xi

• View Profile
    • Email
OK, thanks Mitch and Mike. I've now gone back to a null modem cable and I've made some progress. I clipped D10 in the Remote RRC. That radio now powers up with the Control K3, the RRCs connect to each other and the Remote K3 delivers audio to the Control RRC. Hurray! The Remote K3 panel operates normally and it powers down with its own POWER switch. However, the Control K3 panel now goes catatonic whenever it is in TERM mode. The only controls that do anything are Long Hold MENU and POWER. Long Hold MENU toggles TERM/NORM mode. In NORM mode, the Control K3 operates normally but of course does not control the Remote K3. When I power down the Control K3, the Remote K3 stays on. Also, CW keying through the Control RRC does not work yet.

All this suggests to me that the connection is one way - with the exception of POWER on, nothing is flowing from the Control K3 to the Remote K3 although I do get audio from Remote to Control. I suspect the port assignments. They are identical on both RRCs but I have had trouble with the 2wire modem/router port forwarding assignments. The Admin pages are rather obscure. In particular, they don't associate a separate IP address with each application name. You associate a name with a port range and then assign it to an IP address but you can't then assign the same name to another IP address. So my port forwarding is set up for one but not both RRCs. This situation will go away when I move the Control RRC to the other QTH. Until then, is there something special I need to do to make both RRCs work on the same network?

Thanks,

/Rick

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Rick,

I sent you my networking checklist directly and we will take this offline.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX