Author Topic: Blue Screen of Death on PC Shutdown  (Read 5520 times)

n6xi

• View Profile
    • Email
Blue Screen of Death on PC Shutdown
« on: 2013-09-10, 01:45:37 »
Since I got computer logging working by connecting the control site PC to the USB port of the Control RRC, my Windows 7 Home Premium O/S has been crashing on most shutdowns with the infamous "Blue Screen of Death." I forcibly power it off and back on and do a "Normal" Windows reboot and all is well. If I unplug the serial cable from the RRC to the PC, the problem does not occur.

I have also noticed that the virtual serial port that I use to access the remote radio from the local site PC logging program tends to fail after a period of disuse even though it stayed alive throughout a four hour Sprint contest. I have a feeling, not proven, that these two behaviors are related. However, it is not necessary that I run the logger (Writelog) to provoke the crash upon PC shutdown.

Has anyone experienced this? I suspect some rare combination of O/S version and other system tray stuff.

/Rick N6XI

Jan (Microbit)

• Software Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Blue Screen of Death on PC Shutdown
« Reply #1 on: 2013-09-10, 10:22:25 »
A long shot: Have you tried another USB cable?
Always include type of hard/software and version when asking for support.

n6xi

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2013-09-10, 21:58:10 »
Good thought. I tried it but had the same result. I don't even have to use the RRC. So long as it is powered up and connected to the PC for a while, PC shutdown triggers in this crash.

W1UE

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2013-09-11, 02:49:44 »
I have not seen the BSOD here- using Win7 64 bit.  I have noticed that the virtual serial port that I use for RTTY does stop working after awhile, and I find a reboot necessary for it to work again.  Yes, I have that USB port power control set at "Never
turn off", or whatever the wording is to keep Win7 from shutting down the power to the port.

Dennis W1UE

Jan (Microbit)

• Software Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2013-09-11, 09:40:22 »
Have you checked the status of the ports in Device Manger when they have stopped working? Is it still possible to open/close them, or does it give some error message?
Always include type of hard/software and version when asking for support.

W1UE

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2013-09-11, 13:13:11 »
Next time it happens, I will check that.

Dennis W1UE