Author Topic: Lose the connection to 857 when tuning at all rapidly  (Read 4420 times)

KQ0C

• View Profile
    • Email
I received my Remote Rig boxes today and have everything working with my 857 EXCEPT that if I tune at all rapidly I lose connection tot he radio and need to turn it off and back on to reestablish the connection. If I tune abnormally slowly I can maintain the connection. I suspect there is a baud setting incompatibility... the RemoteRig boxes are set to 64000 baud rate, the radio CAT setting is 38400, but I also understand that the remote head normally connects at a different speed than the CAT connection. Any ideas how to keep the radio connected? I believe I have everything configured as in the manuals.

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
Re: Lose the connection to 857 when tuning at all rapidly
« Reply #1 on: 2013-10-02, 08:32:19 »
Normally that occours if you have too narrow bandwidth on your internet connection. It's nothing which can be adjusted in the RRC.s

73 de mike

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2013-10-02, 11:35:07 »
I agree with Mike, except that there are some things you can do to minimize bandwidth use.
I see too many examples of people using "fat" CODEC's and running serial ports at full speed.

Here are some tips:

- set audio quality to 0 (half the bandwidth of codec 2 and more than adequate for SSB & CW)
- turn continuous RTP on or set RTP to continuous (depending upon firmware version)
- If using the K3 Twin or Yaesu with a second receiver, then turn off "audio dual-rx" on the
   radio RRC under the radio settings. This doubles the necessary bandwidth if on.

Also, make sure that serial ports COM1 and COM2 are turned off if not used, or
that either being used is set to the minimum bps necessary to handle the serial
communication. For example, use 4800 for CAT on a rig like the TS-480 and not
a high speed like 57600, since the higher speed is completely unnecessary.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX
« Last Edit: 2013-10-02, 17:09:31 by dj0qn »

KQ0C

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2013-10-02, 17:01:51 »
The issue turned out to be not having the JMP jumpers set properly. The 857 box came with a small board that wired it properly for the strapping connections but a few jumpers were in the wrong place. Now 100%.