Author Topic: Additional Codecs for Remote Rig  (Read 5534 times)

VK6LD

• View Profile
    • Email
Additional Codecs for Remote Rig
« on: 2013-10-16, 14:53:00 »
Hi All,

I have been using Remote Rig successfully for the past 3 months.

With all the progresses that are being made out in the world, I was just wondering if and when/how additional codecs for Remote Rig are ever considered?

If so is there any process that users can be involved in suggesting and testing?

Here in VK land, much of our internet use, both home and mobile is priced and controlled on data transfer volumes. Usually charged per MB uploaded or downloaded. 

I'm cautious and conscious about how much data I use on my Remote Rig 3G/4G mobile connection and usually operate with the audio quality 12 codec (IMA ADPCM 4 bits 8kHz) which uses approx 42MB per hour total (download + upload) to get the best bang for buck.

Once newer codec that might have some promise is called 'Codec2'.

See:  http://www.rowetel.com/blog/?page_id=452
http://codec2.org/
http://youtu.be/_k-nhHE6CrI

Would this codec be suitable to operate with Remote Rig?  It would cut my data volume use quite a bit.

I would welcome any comments from the forum.

73's

Rob...
VK6LD

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
Re: Additional Codecs for Remote Rig
« Reply #1 on: 2013-10-16, 15:35:15 »
Strange policies your Internet providers have.  On my 4G subscription here i Sweden I can use 85GigaByte/month without any extra cost. I will let our codec expert look att the codec 2 to see if it can be implemented, I don't say we will, but it's the first step. This is not a big issue as I guess most Internet providers in the world, both mobile and fixed have flat rates today.

73 de mike

VK6LD

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2013-10-16, 16:08:56 »
Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply. 

Yes I would appreciate knowing if any narrower codecs can be used. I'm looking at setting up a second remote station on a 3G/4G mobile connection and the amount of use it will get will be limited by the amount of data my plan allocates me every month. 

Quotas on mobile networks in Australia vary for a premium provider (Telstra) from 1GB upto 15GB per month and can cost $AU25 - $AU95 per month. Pre-paid will cost $20/250MB upto $180/12GB.

On 2nd tier provider (Optus) you can get 2GB (1GB peak hours + 1GB off-peak hours) for $15 upto 20GB for $79.00. Pre-paid will cost $10/300MB upto $130/15GB.

On an average 5GB/$30 per month plan on the a 2nd tier 3G provider using IMA ADPCM 4 bits 8kHz, you could use it around 25 hours per week.  Going to codec quality 0 (alaw 8kHz) will halve that to about 12.5 hours per week. So using the most efficient codec is important when keeping to a budget.

The difficulty here in Australia is the vast size of the country that needs to be covered takes a lot of equipment & investment (See maps below), the lack of competition. (1 premium provider and two second tier providers) and a population of approx 25 million.
« Last Edit: 2013-10-16, 16:16:19 by VK6LD »

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2013-10-16, 16:14:41 »
I got a fat answer from Jan after he has read the page. Qouting the Codec2.org wedsite.
"When will Codec2 make it to VHF/UHF? It's possible to experiment today, using common FM radios and a computer. Deployment on smartphones and embedded processors must wait for the development of a version of Codec2 using fixed-point math, rather than the floating-point of the current implementation. There is no technical barrier to the use of fixed-point in Codec2's algorithms. Handheld radios, with their tight power budgets and non-linear amplifiers, probably call for a different sort of modem than we'd use on HF, for example GMSK. This technology is well-known.

73 de mike

VK6LD

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2013-10-17, 14:35:03 »
Thanks Mike for the feedback.

The difference of fixed point over floating point is all a bit over my head, but I understand the point about deployment on smartphones & embedded processors must wait.

So possibly one to keep a lookout for in the future!

73's

Rob.