Author Topic: About the "Antenna Switch 1269"  (Read 5182 times)

w8bnl

• View Profile
    • Email
About the "Antenna Switch 1269"
« on: 2013-10-19, 17:59:35 »
This would be a great addition to my remote setup however - I have a question or two.
1. Is this available for fewer antennas (two to four max.)?
2. Is this available in a "desktop" or "indoor" type of switch?
I currently operate my TS480 remotely using the Kenwood KNS software but plan to use the RemoteRig style in the future. With only two antennas at the remote location - it would be great to have the capability to turn off (or disconnect) the antennas from the radio via the Internet.  Finally - here is a link to an article I posted on eHam which shows an aerial shot of my remote setup.

Many thanks and 73 to all de W8BNL - Tom
73 de W8BNL - Tom
"I always wanted to be somebody...
I guess I should have been more specific!"

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Re: About the "Antenna Switch 1269"
« Reply #1 on: 2013-10-19, 18:12:07 »
Tom,

Two questions for you:

1) Will you be running barefoot only? Any plans for an amp?

2) Is completely disconnecting the antennas (i.e. to ground) important? Can you live without it?

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

w8bnl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2013-10-19, 20:09:49 »
Barefoot for now. I would like to (at some time perhaps) add a small (500 watt max.) amplifier.

The idea behind wanting to "disconnect" is (as you probably know) to protect the radio in the event of a thunderstorm.

73 de W8BNL-Tom
73 de W8BNL - Tom

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2013-10-19, 21:06:03 »
Ok, if you were not in a thunderstorm area, then the easiest method would be to just use
the two antenna outputs on the TS-480 itself.

You have a few options, but probably the cheapest and easiest would be for you to buy a
coax relay that switches between two antennas and to ground when no power is connected.
Then you can control this relay either using an I/O port of the RemoteRig RRC, or via
an AC power plug using an IP power strip (which is a useful device in any remote station).
If you get a relay that can handle high power, then you can add an amplifier later without
a change.

I have used other methods as well, e.g. external switches, using amplifier switching (SPE, Acom), etc.,
but these are probably overkill and too expensive if the Microbit solution is too high-end for you.
The Microbit solution is actually quite ok price wise and well integrated into the RRC, but a relay
will do the job for you if price and overkill is an issue.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

w8bnl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2013-10-19, 21:16:40 »
All very good points - thanks for the input. This is probably going to be a lengthy project since I don't have the funding to just go all out and buy everything at one time. Thanks again.
73 de W8BNL - Tom